• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Almost Free Solidworks Program

jmarkwolf

Active User
There's been quite a lot of talk about 3D CAD software on the forum lately.

Dassault (the maker of Solidworks) has entered into an educational licensing arrangement with the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association).

Join and maintain a membership in the EAA for $40 a year, and you get a "perpetual license" of the student version of Solidworks.

Note: I said maintain a membership with the EAA, because the software apparently still expires yearly, but being an EAA membership you get a new authorization code or something. Not sure exactly how this works because I haven't had mine a year yet.

And no, you don't have to be a pilot or own a plane.

I'm taking a Solidworks class right now at the local community college, and the software is kicking my but, after being an AutoCAD user for nearly 30 years. I keep telling myself "It'll get easier, it'll get easier"!

markso125

Iron
Registered Member
Solidworks charges for every seat even to the educational facilities. I currently have 10 seats in my classroom and total yearly my budget accounts anywhere from $500 to $1000 for the educational license and then $25 a seat, I teach at a satellite campus so my cost is dependant on how many seats they have at the main campus.
Solidworks has some advantages over AutoCAD and AutoCAD has advantages over Solidworks I tend to prefer to use AutoCAD for most things because I am faster using keystrokes instead of clicking boxes and I can usually draw up a 3D object in AutoCAD quicker then my students can draw one up in Solidworks.

markso125

Iron
Registered Member
There is not any free solidworks out there unless you have a less then honorable copy of it, there are many ways that it can be gotten through something like an educational license for a minimal cost, anyone who steals it just gives them more excuses to add more crap too it making it harder for those of us that have it legitimately to keep it active. Heck you can go down to your local university, sign up as a student get a student email address and you can get all autocad products for free for three years including inventor and HSM(even the solidworks version) and you can get a copy of solidworks for less then $100 USD.

benzflieger

Iron
Registered Member
Wow, great tip, jmarkwolf, on how to acquire an economical & legitimate installation of Solidworks. Within, minutes of reading your post, I became an EAA member and was downloading and installing Solidworks!
I've used most of the players out there in the solid modeling world (Inventor, Solidworks, AutoCAD, Pro/E, Cad NX, Alibre, etc.) in support of my engineering day job, but had to settle for Sketchup Pro for my personal stuff. I actually have come to really enjoy Sketchup and the incredible speed that I can get "basic geometry" modeled, but miss having ready access to a good 'ole solid modeling program like Solidworks. Thanks for your tip.

jmarkwolf

Active User
There is not any free solidworks out there unless you have a less then honorable copy of it, there are many ways that it can be gotten through something like an educational license for a minimal cost, anyone who steals it just gives them more excuses to add more crap too it making it harder for those of us that have it legitimately to keep it active. Heck you can go down to your local university, sign up as a student get a student email address and you can get all autocad products for free for three years including inventor and HSM(even the solidworks version) and you can get a copy of solidworks for less then $100 USD.
I don't know why you don't believe it Markso. Go to the link below and check it out yourself.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-memb...urce-center/download-solidworks-software-form

Like I said in my original post: "join and maintain a membership in the EAA for $40 a year, and you get a "perpetual license" of the student version of Solidworks".

Superburban

The title of your post it's not very accurate, it's not free software
Ditto. If it was a site like this one, that I would visit more, it could be worth while, but to pay for a subscription for a site that I would never revisit, makes the cost of the membership, the cost of the software.

There is many of us on fixed incomes, due to situations beyond our control, and we have to watch every penney.

rzbill

The cheapest thing in an airplane is the pilot.
Ditto. If it was a site like this one, that I would visit more, it could be worth while, but to pay for a subscription for a site that I would never revisit, makes the cost of the membership, the cost of the software.

There is many of us on fixed incomes, due to situations beyond our control, and we have to watch every penney.
Well skip it then, but don't complain about it. A good organization (EAA) is doing a good thing for its members. There is no other LEGITIMATE way to get a copy of Solidworks for 40 bucks. Plus you get a monthly magazine, a bunch of raffle tickets to win an aircraft, access to forums of (OMG!) metalworking plus other useful fabrication techniques like gas welding aluminum and composite construction. And don't forget, discount on tickets to the annual bash. :rolleyes: If you get to know some of the members via the local chapter, you might meet people that are just as brilliant as the folks here. There are some outstanding hand built aircraft out there but the craft is not the important bit. The workmanship is.

EAA member since '71.

Last edited:

Superburban

Well skip it then, but don't complain about it. A good organization (EAA) is doing a good thing for its members. There is no other LEGITIMATE way to get a copy of Solidworks for 40 bucks. Plus you get a monthly magazine, a bunch of raffle tickets to win an aircraft, access to forums of (OMG!) metalworking plus other useful fabrication techniques like gas welding aluminum and composite construction. And don't forget, discount on tickets to the annual bash. :rolleyes: If you get to know some of the members via the local chapter, you might meet people that are just as brilliant as the folks here. There are some outstanding hand built aircraft out there but the craft is not the important bit. The workmanship is.

EAA member since '71.
I believe you did not see the original title, that claimed you could get solidworks for free. Is all the other stuff you mention worth the money? could be, but none of that was mentioned. The post originally sounded more like a way to get traffic at some other web site up for what ever purpose.

rzbill

The cheapest thing in an airplane is the pilot.
While I did not see the original title, I understand it and see the change commentary.

I think this is a semantics argument.
For me, since I am already an EAA member, it is free in every sense of the word.

In regards to whether the EAA is worth it? That is an individual choice of course.
For me, the introduction in '71 lit a fire that has affected my whole life because at 11 years old, I committed to building my own plane. I was introduced to a whole raft of geezers with beautiful planes. Well... I finally became one of those geezers with a beautiful plane in 2012. :) It led me to get Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering degrees which certainly has been a positive.

Yeah, I think its worth it.

ferlum

Which version of Solidworks is it exactly? And can you upgrade every year to stay compatible with other SW users on up-to-date versions?

jbolt

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
The educational version is usually one release behind. I mentor for a high school robotics team and get a educational lic. each year. The release I am using now is branded 2016-2017 student. We upgrade in January. It is a full blown release. The lic. is good for 18 months. The only annoyance is when you produce drawings it has a "Student Version" watermark on it when printed since it is not meant for commercial use. I think the deal through EAA is well worth it if you don't have other avenues.

Blackjackjacques

Technically the original post was accurate and there was no intent to deceive. The author's effort to enlighten was productive and should have been answered with praise in lieu of a serving of prig. I joined EAA to access the SW benefit, and the deal was well worth it.

ferlum

The educational version is usually one release behind. I mentor for a high school robotics team and get a educational lic. each year. The release I am using now is branded 2016-2017 student. We upgrade in January. It is a full blown release. The lic. is good for 18 months. The only annoyance is when you produce drawings it has a "Student Version" watermark on it when printed since it is not meant for commercial use. I think the deal through EAA is well worth it if you don't have other avenues.
Thanks for the details.

jmarkwolf

Active User
Technically the original post was accurate and there was no intent to deceive. The author's effort to enlighten was productive and should have been answered with praise in lieu of a serving of prig. I joined EAA to access the SW benefit, and the deal was well worth it.
Thanks Black Jack

Gotta admit I was surprised that I was getting slammed for giving forum members a"head ups"on a freebie.

clif

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
An alternate way for veterans to get Solidworks at a very low price;

From their website;

The SOLIDWORKS Student Edition cost to qualified US and Canadian Military including reserve, active duty and retired/discharged military personnel is $20 USD/$40 CAD.

For US, a copy of your DD214, DD256 or DD257 form is required.For Canada, a copy of your NDI 75 or CFOne Card replacing the NDI 75 (Effective Jan 1, 2016) or CAF 75 (Record of Service ID Card) is required.For Active Duty (US/Canada only), please provide a Statement of Service verified by your Chain of Command and include date of entry and end of service dates

Eligibility Information

The SOLIDWORKS® Student Edition is only available to US and Canadian Military including reserve, active duty and retired/discharged military personnel.
Proof of eligibility is required before you can complete your order.

https://store.solidworks.com/veteran/default.php

The student edition is listed at $99.99 which means the veterans offer is a great discount (80% off), not bad.

QuoteReply
ReportEdit

7milesup

Thanks Black Jack

Gotta admit I was surprised that I was getting slammed for giving forum members a"head ups"on a freebie.
I used to work with a guy (pilot) that complained about everything. One day I told him..."Mark, if I gave you a new pencil you would complain that I didn't sharpen it. If I gave you a sharpened pencil, you would complain that you could have done a better job." He actually laughed when I told him that. I think he realized how ridiculous he was being sometimes.

7milesup

Solidworks charges for every seat even to the educational facilities. I currently have 10 seats in my classroom and total yearly my budget accounts anywhere from $500 to $1000 for the educational license and then $25 a seat, I teach at a satellite campus so my cost is dependant on how many seats they have at the main campus.
Solidworks has some advantages over AutoCAD and AutoCAD has advantages over Solidworks I tend to prefer to use AutoCAD for most things because I am faster using keystrokes instead of clicking boxes and I can usually draw up a 3D object in AutoCAD quicker then my students can draw one up in Solidworks.
Sounds to me like you should have all of your students join the EAA. Heck, a spark might be lit and they may end up in a career that can be extremely rewarding.

I joined the EAA again, just so I could get the Solidworks deal, although, with me being a pilot for 30+ years, there is more than a passing interest there. ;/

jmarkwolf

Active User
I was just notified that my free SolidWorks 2016/17 student version is about to expire, and was invited to download the latest version.

From the EAA:
"We hope you've enjoyed using SOLIDWORKS free as an EAA member benefit. We are pleased to report that DS SolidWorks has agreed to continue offering EAA members who are in good standing free access to SOLIDWORKS Student Design Kit – EAA Maker Edition."

Feels like free to me! :)

philip-of_Oregon

Iron
Registered Member
An alternate way for veterans to get Solidworks at a very low price;

From their website;

The SOLIDWORKS Student Edition cost to qualified US and Canadian Military including reserve, active duty and retired/discharged military personnel is $20 USD/$40 CAD.

For US, a copy of your DD214, DD256 or DD257 form is required.For Canada, a copy of your NDI 75 or CFOne Card replacing the NDI 75 (Effective Jan 1, 2016) or CAF 75 (Record of Service ID Card) is required.For Active Duty (US/Canada only), please provide a Statement of Service verified by your Chain of Command and include date of entry and end of service dates

eligibility_info_off.jpg Eligibility Information

The SOLIDWORKS® Student Edition is only available to US and Canadian Military including reserve, active duty and retired/discharged military personnel.
Proof of eligibility is required before you can complete your order.

https://store.solidworks.com/veteran/default.php

The student edition is listed at $99.99 which means the veterans offer is a great discount (80% off), not bad.

QuoteReply
ReportEdit
This is Awesome Information!

My DD 214 will be provided when Next the Eagle Flies. My "Hobby Money" for the month has already been Spent, errr times 500 % On the other hand, I have pre-ordered the New on the Market: SnapMaker CNC 3 in ONE, it will do 3d plastic modeling, PLUS future Modes in LASER CUTTING & Engraving "Bas Relief" suggested engraver tips are as small as 0.005 and the large ones 0.031 If I studied the material correctly.

SnapMaker is using KICKStarter to Fund it and has already shipped their Beta Versions. By their web page, they are the Third most "used" or Monetary receiver of funds . . . So I am thinking "well Vetted" UpStart company.

I have wanted & waited to get into 3d printing.

The potentials of creating Mold Patterns for Casting, then Machine to Finish Sound promising. I am associated (Very close friend) with a Very Large BRONZE CASTING facility, which "pays its bills" by accepting other ~Artists~ "Sculpture" that adds to any cast they do . . .

philip, who slept all day, due to Last nights Sneezing Hacking Coughing sort of Condition :-(

Container Above bottom breadcrumb