Allis Chalmers CA seat repair

OldMachinist

Bronze
Rest In Peace
The square hole in my Allis CA seat rotted out. This is how I repaired it this morning.
Clamped it on a couple of bolts that I put in the drain holes and plunged a 1-1/2" end mill thru the old hole location.

DSCF1964.JPG

I had welded up some cracks in the back side before doing the hole.

DSCF1966.JPG

Made a thick washer in the lathe with 5/8" hole and then milled it square.

DSCF1967.JPG

Less than 5 mins with a file and the corners where squared out.

DSCF1969.JPG

All ready for welding.

DSCF1970.JPG

If my old eyes could see better the welds would look pretty but its a working not show tractor.

DSCF1971.JPGDSCF1972.JPGDSCF1973.JPG

Hit it with a little rattle can touch up paint.

DSCF1974.JPG
After it bakes in the 95 degree sun for a while today I should be ready to get back to mowing.

DSCF1964.JPG DSCF1966.JPG DSCF1967.JPG DSCF1969.JPG DSCF1970.JPG DSCF1971.JPG DSCF1972.JPG DSCF1973.JPG DSCF1974.JPG

Last edited:
That's the best thrill a hobby machinist can have---use his machines and fixit skills to overcome needed repairs without having to put out any cash.. good job Dave :))

tis very true. "no parts repair" is what we call um up here in the frozen northland. always something breaking on the farm.

Nice! I'm rebuilding a Allis G with my father right now and think it needs this repair. He is 82 and still going to farm auctions looking for projects.

Yes if the G also had the single bolt seat it will eventually rot in that area of the seat pan. There are repair kits available that just have 2 plates that you rivet on each side of the seat but I like my repair better.

AllisSeatkit.jpg

AllisSeatkit.jpg

I think yours will last longer than the replacement option anyway. Nice work.

Back