Alignment gage plans and use

Optic Eyes

Registered
Registered
Beginners think having a gage answers all questions however this is not so, a Gage can not tell you much if worn surfaces are compared to each other as a datum is necessary. Now I use an optical datum but granite
parallels are useful, long straight edges are as well. For example the flat way on a lathe can be straightened
and used to check the tailstock flat way, then both of those used to check the prismatic ways.
Tight wire alignment for horizontal measurements will repeat to two tenths reliably or closer , the sag formula for wire alignment is posted on alignment web sites. . Wire alignment gave way to optics, then lasers.

I manufacture an Machine Tool Alignment gage called a King-Way Alignment Instrument that My Dad invented. It uses level vials to check Vee and flat way parallelism, head stock and tailstock alignment using an attached dial indicator against test bars. I now sell kits and prints so you can make your one. Or buy the complete package. Email me for details. Richard@Handscraping.com

Taylor Hobson attaches their target to it to measure.

Cash Masters of Kinetic uses a King-Way to slide on V and Flat ways with the optic lens of a wire Micrometer to measure straightness

Last edited:
Back