Aligning stock in four jaw independent chuck my way, beginner friednly

Zeroing stock in a 4 jaw was always a time consuming process for me, no matter how I did it, or where the indicator was.
UNTIL I started using 2 chuck keys, in opposing jaws, at the same time - It literally sped it up by a factor of 10.
I'd encourage anyone to try it, if you haven't already - It really works a treat, and at least for me, it was very intuitive !

Zeroing stock in a 4 jaw was always a time consuming process for me, no matter how I did it, or where the indicator was.
UNTIL I started using 2 chuck keys, in opposing jaws, at the same time - It sped it up by a factor of 10.
I'd encourage anyone to try it, if you haven't already - It really works a treat, and at least for me, it was very intuitive !
Check it out in a video, using 2 chuck keys is compatible with this method, notice, the trick with closing in with 180 and 90 degrees jaw screws tightening. This works for me awesomely. Probably wont switch back to 3 jaw soon...
Now i can center stock in 0.01 runout in in 2-3 minutes, I think that for a hobbyst it is fast enough...

I tried the 2 chuck key method, it works but after a little practice I found the single chuck key and dial gauge much easier. But what ever works for you.

Not sure I understand - Using 2 keys doesn't preclude using an indicator - Of course you have to use one.
The 2 keys is just faster to get there, than going back and forth from one jaw to the other, at least for me.
It really doesn't change whatever procedure you use, just speeds it up. That was my only point.
But, as you say - Whatever works.

Indicate stock, set 0 to average of runout, align one set jaws to indicator, move part to 0 (average found earlier), align other jaws with indicator, adjust to 0. You should have less than 0.002" or better of runout at this point, repeat process to dial it in dead nuts. Also noted previously 2 chuck keys also make it much easier.

Last edited:
Wait until you try to zero an adjust true chuck with 3 adjusting screws. You need to work 3 Allen keys at the same time.

Back