Aligning headstock

What cut are you making; right to left or left to right? Are you starting from an open edge or pressing in and gouging?

If there's any way you can post some pics of your setup and the quality of cut, might provide some clues.

Thanks to all who contributed to this discussion. I will take hole lathe apart and reassemble it. I have to improve gibs, steel gibs are joke and inaccurate.
I would like to have brass gibs fabricated and start tweaking lathe from there. There is so many things to be improved on this one and only than I should test cut again and maybe revisit this thread. That would be time for pictures.

Ray - to answer your last questions I was making open right to left cuts. Cuter dead center on the axis.

John,
Nothing wrong with rebuilding your lathe. You will learn heaps about its operation and gain insight into different methods to machining. However I would reconsider your choice of gib material. Are you sure they are carbon steel? Not cast iron, which has its own inbuilt lubrication, (graphite). What do you perceive is the problem with your gibs? Maybe its adjustment error, Possibly they just need some hand fitting to bring them upto scratch. I dont think I have seen a machine with anything other than CI gibs, and that includes quality industrial machines.

Cheers Phil

Back