Albrecht Drill Chuck Help

I had a mishap on the mill the other day and the R8 shank spun out of the chuck. The drill bit caught in mild steel as it broke through and crashed before I could react!
I don't care about the drill bit but would like to save the chuck if possible. Any ideas on how to fix this careless mistake?
David, Did you fix the chuck ? we want to know:congratulate:
You got a few good advice on how to loosen it, the fixture Mikey mentioned ( Aluminum with smaller hole) is you best bet in my opinion, just make sure it fits the correct part of the chuck .

I think you should take it apart as I bet some of the ball bearings are now broken and causing it to stick. I just took apart a chuck I bought on ebay and made a fixture as shown to hold the chuck in the vise and then used the pipe wrench and a piece of thin copper to remove the hood. oxtoolco on youtube has a good video showing the steps. Broken ball bearings is a very common problem with these chucks but easy to fix.

I've refurbished 9 Albrecht chucks and have to say I've never seen a broken ball bearing. Missing, yes, broken, no. Sorry, Dan, not trying to be contrary but broken ball bearings is not a common malady in an Albrecht chuck unless the chuck has been abused.

Pause and have a cold one.

Now cut the can into strips and place it in your lathe.

Put lathe in back gear slowest speed.

3 layers should give good padding.

Now get biggest channel locks you can find as pipe wrench squeezes harder as you pull harder.

Grip with pliers along with strapping for cushioning.

Try jerking the pliers as often it will come loose this way.

We have often used ours with large hole saws in the mill and the vibration causes them to seat real good.

Using the pliers to open it works well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

The problem may be that the drill bit was inserted into the chuck too deep. Albrecht chucks tighten as you drill., so when inserting a drill bit,
you can hit "bottom" but then back it off. Never insert the bit touching the end of chuck otherwise there will be no room left to loosen it.
I think Mikey's approach is best. Disassemble the chuck with the special aluminum clamps to avoid chowdering the knurling.
In this case, I would use 1/2" thick aluminum clamps that are very close to the chucks OD's for a good grip. I made these clamps for all of my Albrechts
and they are perfect. ( I used mahogany for my tiny 0-1/8"). Once you have it apart, you'll be able get the drill out and refurbish the damage all at one time.
Let us know how it goes.

Back