Albrecht Drill Chuck Help

David

Active User
Registered
I had a mishap on the mill the other day and the R8 shank spun out of the chuck. The drill bit caught in mild steel as it broke through and crashed before I could react!

The problem is that I can't get the chuck to release the bit. Im guessing that the torque may have sprung the jaws to a point of not allowing the unscrewing mechanism to work.

I have placed the drill bit in the vise and put as much pressure as I felt comfortable with to brake it loose but no luck.

I don't care about the drill bit but would like to save the chuck if possible. Any ideas on how to fix this careless mistake?

drill chuck 002.jpg

Dave, if it was me I would remove the rear collar and make a fixture to lock it in a vise. Then I would either try a strap wrench to get the hood loose or make another fixture to clamp onto the hood to break it loose. Here is what I have used to get stubborn hoods off and they work well. The smaller fixture clamps onto the body where the rear collar fits and is locked in a vise. The larger one clamps onto the hood near the top of the knurled section with a C-clamp; a few taps with a hammer on the clamp should move the hood. I have yet to see an Albrecht that I couldn't loosen with these plates.

Fixtures.jpg

It may be possible that the guide pin is now bent, making releasing the jaws a challenge. Once you get the hood off you can replace the pin with a roll pin cut to size.

I hope the taper socket isn't too messed up.

Good luck!

Fixtures.jpg

I love Albrecht chucks to death! But they are not designed to hold and grab bits larger than the shank size inserted into the chuck.

As precision as they are, I wouldn't use them for any drill bits larger than 1/2" for a 1/2" capacity chuck. Any heavy drilling like with S & D bits, I get my 16N out for the job!

Just my two bits worth!

Thanks Dan and Mikey for the information. I may have to try your fixtures Mikey because it will not break loose and I have really twisted on it.

I have several 14N's but was in a hurry just to drill the last hole, so now I pay the price.

Lesson learned!!

David

Dear People
The shank of the drill is usally soft ... cut it off ... set up drill chuck in lathe and drill say 1/16" undersize of the shank and that wiil releve the pressure onnthe jaws.
Batt

Do you have a pipe wrench? I guess it depends on how much time you want to spend removing the drill, but I have found a pipe wrench or a large set of channel locks to be pretty efficient in that situation....yes I have been called a hack before.

Chuck

Put the drill chuck in your lathe and than apply a pipe wrench to the knurled part of the chuck, since it is not of any use the way it is you cannot make any worse. I have opened numerous chucks with this process during my years of employment.

frankie

I too have used a pipe wrench to loosen a stuck chuck. the knurl hides any marks the pipe wrench might leave. always works. yes I do use up to 1 5/8 silver and demming drill bits in my Albrecht chuck. yes I abuse tools that's what they are for. bill

You could wrap soft copper around it and then use your best holding method . The copper will smash into all the grooves or knurling. I think it would be better to just chuck it in the lathe and cut off the drill and drill it out . Drill bit $10.00 chuck $400.00 do the math.

Back