Air Hose crimp tool.

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for some info on what tool you use to crimp air hoses. I have used screw clamps, but don't really like them. I don't need a press, I have a press. So dies alone might be ok, as long as I can put them in the press. I have a bunch of ear type hose crimps. But I think the ear type crimp might be a pain in the rear, and might be a waste of time and high frustration. Got them in lot that I bought a long time ago. Again, don't tell me to use screw clamps, I am looking for a reasonable alternative.

Thanks.

If you are referring to Oetiker style clamps, you can just use a pair end cutters if you are a bit careful, a dull one will work better. The real tools are pretty pricey but there are cheaper variants, you can usually find the one for Pex tubing in local hardware stores but they're like $60.

I use brass ferrules on my air hoses. The crimp tool is expensive so I made my own. I took a small steel block, drilled the proper size hole through the center (a little smaller than the ferrule OD),sawed it in half (through the center of the hole). Then use a file to bevel the edges of the hole to a small 45 degree bevel. Use a file to make a bevel in the bottom of each hole half. When you put the two blocks together, you will have a hole with a "V" grove every 90 degrees around it. Put the ferrule on the hose, put the hose in the blocks, put the blocks in the vise and crimp. Works great, looks professional and costs nothing.

I use brass ferrules on my air hoses. The crimp tool is expensive so I made my own. I took a small steel block, drilled the proper size hole through the center (a little smaller than the ferrule OD),sawed it in half (through the center of the hole). Then use a file to bevel the edges of the hole to a small 45 degree bevel. Use a file to make a bevel in the bottom of each hole half. When you put the two blocks together, you will have a hole with a "V" grove every 90 degrees around it. Put the ferrule on the hose, put the hose in the blocks, put the blocks in the vise and crimp. Works great, looks professional and costs nothing.

It sounds like Mark's crimping die works similar to the Western Enterprises CR-100 crimping tool, Damn the price has risen a lot since I bought mine about 20 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Enterprises-CR-100-HOSE-CRIMPER/dp/B00U6O8G74

Mark, did you put any ridges into it, or just V's

Back