Air Follower Steady Rest

drhall762

Registered
Registered
I have run across a couple of references to using what was termed an "air follower steady rest" on a manual machine when contouring rifle barrels. In the photos of the barrels I have seen it appears to work well but I have no idea what the rest actually looks like. They seem to be DIY projects from what the references stated.

I am familiar with both hydraulic and pneumatic rests on CNC lathes but that's where my experience ends.

The gunsmith mentioned was Pete Grisel. It would seem that the one used was of his design.

Anyone know where to get some guidance on constructing one of these?

3fKMzge.jpg

this is what mine looks like. works great on 35psi. the brass end-pieces are sacrificial, although they will last quite a while.

3fKMzge.jpg

this is what mine looks like. works great on 35psi. the brass end-pieces are sacrificial, although they will last quite a while.
I know this is an old post but I really would like to know what size the bore is on those pneumatic cylinders.
Knowing the bore size would help me calculate the output force @ 35 psi
(They look like maybe 3/4" bore if those copper tubes are 3/8" OD?)
Anyway, I would really appreciate it!

Joe

Hey, I think they look like 3/4 bore too, but I can't tell you 100%. I wish you have a better answer soon

my guess would be closer to 7/8" to 1" bore cylinders.
Dave

Here's a wild guess: The locking arm on that Aloris tool post looks to be about 1/2" diameter. That would appear to put the brass ends at about 1" - give-or-take. And the copper tubing looks like 3/8". That also puts the brass ends in the 1" range. I tend to agree with Dave Smith.

Regards

my guess would be closer to 7/8" to 1" bore cylinders.
Dave
Thanks for your input on this, you and tjb may be right since the wall thickness on these cylinders are pretty thin, the wall thickness is probably no more than .035 - .060".

Either way, I think I would be better off using 1" bore cylinders just to be on the safe side, and the rod diameter appears to be a bit larger as well and that should help in terms of rigidity.

Thanks again!

Joe

Would somebody please explain the point of this steady rest? I can’t see a benefit.

Back