Air filtration

92degrees

Registered
Registered
I am interested in advice about air filtration and safety. I turn metal on a mini-lathe in my basement (copper, bronze, steel, aluminum) as well as some woods and plastics.

I wear a mask for sanding and filing, and often for turning as well.

Do others have additional filtration systems that they would recommend?

I do not have windows in my basement, so I can not vent to the outside...

My search for info here didn't turn up anything but my search terms may have been wrong. Most of my internet searches turn up discussions about woodworking.

Thank you. Steve

I am interested in advice about air filtration and safety. I turn metal on a mini-lathe in my basement (copper, bronze, steel, aluminum) as well as some woods and plastics.

I wear a mask for sanding and filing, and often for turning as well.

Do others have additional filtration systems that they would recommend?

I do not have windows in my basement, so I can not vent to the outside...

My search for info here didn't turn up anything but my search terms may have been wrong. Most of my internet searches turn up discussions about woodworking.

Thank you. Steve

If I were you I wouldn't bother with anything, but you might consider one of those free-standing HEPA filter units that they sell at Walmart and such. Just leave it running all the time in your shop.

If you aren't generating much smoke or airborne dust I agree don't sweat it with air filter system. Don't get me wrong tho I am a big advocate of filtering when possible and required. That would include woodworking, welding, surface grinding or if you are machining a lot using cutting oil creating smoke. If you really want to vent your space you can always cut in vent and make up air inlets thru the rim joists and plumb with PVC pipe to appropriate locations. Direct exhausting is the most efficient and effective way vs filtering and recircing inside air but the downside is heat/cooling loss and introduction of humidity depending on weather. Problem i see with almost all filter/recirculating setups is they don't catch the invisible sub-micron stuff which is what Really harms you. I suppose if you have humongous fine particle filter area and high cfm's its possible but at what cost. Small hepa filter will work but it will blind quickly and your essentially just blowing the dust around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back