Air Compressor Pumps

dlane

Active User
Registered
my brothers air pump froze up , it's a 60 gal 5hp 220v don't know the name brand off hand .
It quit making air a month ago ( dusty environment filter missing) He had his friend rebuild it
" not the brightest candle on the cake" it lasted about an hour started squealing then froze up solid
any how it has a single stage aluminum pump splash oiled.
Anyone know of a descent replacement pump at a reasonable price ? Cast iron ? Two stage or single ?
Thanks

Harbor Freight offers a selection of compressor pumps. The reviews are pretty mixed on them however. If you want a quality pump I'm not sure I'd go that way, but if you just need a cheap replacement to get you by one of their pumps should do.
-Spike

SURPLUS CENTER 1015 west "O" street lincoln ne 68528

fixit

About 2 years ago my brother-in-law bought a compressor pump from harbor freight. It is quitter than the original and still running strong. We had to drill new mounting holes on the tank and modify the lines but it works, and we think it was worth the trouble.

If you go that route be sure to measure the mounting holes and check the line mounting. We discovered that the only perfect fit was a original replacement pump and that was cost prohibitive compared to the cost of the HF This gets used every day by employs that don't care and never ck the oil or filter and is holding up better than the original

Grainger carries several well known manufacture pumps. They are pricey though. Might look for a good used compressor on CL.

Thanks for the info, think I'll take it apart and see what happened , been checking cl no luck.
HF will be last resort but may be best route for him. I have my trusty CH 20gal 30yrs still going strong
But don't want to run the blast cabinet with it.
Seems pumps are rated for hp not tank size

Dlane
That is correct, the rating is based upon H.P. of the motor. About 10 years ago, the pump on a 25-year old 5hp single-stage compressor took a crap on me while I was sandblasting. It had always had a good filter and oil, but got used a-lot. I replaced it with a 2-stage Ingersol Rand compressor pump that was rated for 5hp. I had to remount the motor to get it lined up with the new pump, drilled 8 new holes in the mount plate to do it and had to eliminate the guard and modify the lines. Apparently, it was too much for the motor (smoke, seize) after about 2 hours. It took 3 tries to get another 5hp motor that could run the new pump. Before you ask, I ordered the correct pulley as recommended by Ingersol to put on the motor to run their pump. Once I got a good motor, it works great and has for 10 years. By the time I was done, I could have purchased a new Ingersol compressor 7.5hp on sale from Tractor Supply. They had them on sale about 2 months after I completed the compressor and finally had it running good. (facepalm) Lesson: make sure everything in the drive system can actually play nice before purchasing expensive parts!
Good luck!!

Back