H-M Platinum Supporter
This 7.5 Hp Quincy air compressor followed me home from the auction:

Trouble is, I already got two pounds of sh*t in a one pound box when
it comes to shop space.

Anybody ever put the air compressor in a dog house outside? Remember I
live on the tundra (MN). Otherwise, I got to sell it. I paid all of
$300, so I should come out OK

quincy air compressor.jpg

You need to just build a bigger shop.:laughing: But as long as you build the dog house weather tight and have plenty of ventilation the compressor will me fine. Although the dog probably won't be happy.:laughing:

Personally I haven't, but I have seen what happens if the "dog house" is too small.

A crew working with us was using a small compressor for fresh air breathing supply but they felt the noise was objectionable to surrounding neighbours. They built a nice little box, insulated it of course, and stuck the compressor inside. Hmmmm, guess what happened? In short order the machine overheated and pretty much self-destructed. Granted it was not as beefy a machine as yours, but still, don't overlook ventilation. The dog-houses I've seen in logging camps for diesel gennies all have open sides or big louvres that open up.

-frank

You would need some heat for winter start ups. I would suggest a electric heater ("milk house heater") on a thermostat set for like 50 degrees. It will keep the condensation down & keep the motor dry also. Cold oil startups & condensation will be your major problems.

fixit

This 7.5 Hp Quincy air compressor followed me home from the auction:

Trouble is, I already got two pounds of sh*t in a one pound box when
it comes to shop space.

Anybody ever put the air compressor in a dog house outside? Remember I
live on the tundra (MN). Otherwise, I got to sell it. I paid all of
$300, so I should come out OK

Shouldn't be a problem. Some tank draining management during the winter months would be a possible concern.

I agree with all of the above. I would use water pipe heat tracing or an oil pan heater for the winter startups. Lots of ventilation.

My solution to a quiet compressor was to piece one together from a refrigerant system pump and a compressor tank from the side of the road. But that's just me :p :)

Make sure you can still drain it, route a pipe from the bottom of the tank to a valve, pointed out of the doghouse. At the end of the day flick the valve and use the tank pressure to shoot water out. They're handy.

Thanks for the input, everybody.

What do you all think of this plan?

Put a smaller pulley on for 25% speed reduction and torque increase. Should help with winter starting. I'll put it on a VFD and can run the motor 25% faster for sandblasting, otherwise leave the motor run slow.

FWIW, my son has the same unit outside in his unheated barn and he has trouble with VFD KOs in cold weather. An extremely slow ramp up solves his issue unless its below zero. I use my air compressor a lot in below zero weather.

Thanks for the input, everybody.

What do you all think of this plan? Put a smaller pulley on for 25% speed reduction and torque increase. Should help with winter starting.

If you need more torque to start in Winter, something probably isn't right. Use a small oil plug heater if one can be added.

Thank you for the subject and your ideas. Please tell us how much the VFD for that size motor costs and then how well the VFD preformed, Thanks Again…Dave

Back