Ahp Alphatig 200x

The Welder came in today and I got it un-boxed and pieces laid out. The 2016 has most of the improvements suggested by the people that reviewed this welder on U-Tube. Even Mr. Tig approved of it and uses it quit often in videos.
The only thing is the pedal is the same as the 2015. I see the SSC pedal on Amazon for $159 so that might be an option if this one doesn't work out.
I also did like some suggested on the U-Tube videos I watched about the stock pedal. Screwed it down to a board so it doesn't walk away when using it. I also zip-tied the finger switch to the torch lead.
I'll pick up a bottle of Argon Thursday and some 2% Lanth Tungsten and then, I'll have to give it a test run. :D

upload_2016-3-1_21-9-0.png

Everything laid out
upload_2016-3-1_21-9-24.png

upload_2016-3-1_21-9-41.png

Pedal with board attached and switch zip-tied.

upload_2016-3-1_21-10-20.png

Bigger than I thought it would be.
upload_2016-3-1_21-10-46.png

Got the Argon bottle and got it all setup and tried to do some test welds on a piece of aluminum.
Didn't look to good. Changed the settings and tried some more test beads. I guess I'll keep practicing.
Started building a new cart to hold the new Tig and my old Wire feed. Got about halfway thru welding with the wire feed and ran out of wire. Ended up using the new Tig on DC to finish up.
Tig DC is a whole lot easier than AC for Aluminum. Just need to get more steady so I quit dipping the tungsten and having to stop and regrind a point.
After doing that twice, I just ground a couple more extra and just changed them out when I dipped it in the puddle or touched it with the filler rod.
Finally got it all welded up. It's not pretty, but the welds are strong with good penetration. When I did a good weld with penetration I was happy, but then the next one sucked.
Big learning curve with Tig, compared to Mig or stick.
Still need to add some shelf plates, and make the bottle holder, prime and paint.
Next weekend hopefully.
I'll try and get some pics when I get back out to the garage.
Overall I would say that the AHP Alphatig 200x price is awesome and is a very good welder. :applause 2:
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for the Home Hobby Shop.

I don't know if you have a cheater lens(magnifier) in your hood, but that helped me a lot with TIG. It made a big difference in being able to see the puddle clearly. If I happen to look over the cheater, the arc looks so tiny it feels like I'm looking at it from across the room. I used a 2.0 for a while and just switched to a 2.5

Thanks for the idea. I'll have to see if I can find one to fit my Auto hood.

Yeah I use a 1.5 in my hood. Of course my eyes aren't getting any younger either.

Do they make the Mag lens that fits the HF Auto hood?
I don't see a size on it.
Chicago Electric Welding - item#91214
91214_zzz_500.jpg

91214_zzz_500.jpg

91214_zzz_500.jpg

91214_zzz_500.jpg

91214_zzz_500.jpg

91214_zzz_500.jpg

I had to upgrade my HF helmet to a Hobart one. The Hobart one has tabs on the inside that the cheater lens slide into.

I measured the lens in the HF Helmet and it is 2" x 4". I'll check with Welding supply and see if they have any. If not I guess there is always eBay.

Took some pics of the cart so far. Waiting to get some Diamond plate for the shelves.
Need to add some handles and places to hang stuff from.
Then maybe I'll be ready to wire brush it, prime and paint it.

upload_2016-3-7_23-5-13.png

upload_2016-3-7_23-5-38.png

Had to add a two 1" square tubing cross pieces for the bottles to set on instead of the axles.
Plan on putting the Mig on bottom shelf, so I needed a place for C25 bottle beside the Argon.

upload_2016-3-7_23-9-9.png

Back