Ahp Alphatig 200x

roadie33

Active User
Registered
I just ordered the AHP AlphaTig 200X from Amazon, $719 + $30.50 shipping, $20 off gift card, total $729.50 to my door. Supposed to be delivered around March 8th. That was one of the deciding factors also.
After reading and watching different reviews and videos on the different budget TIG AC/DC welders I decided on this one because of the all around good reviews.
I will wait and see when it arrives and post some follow up pics and weld reviews when I get it.
I've been needing a TIG welder for Aluminum and a Stick welder for a while. So instead of buying 2 separate machines I researched getting one to do both.
I've had a wire feed for 20+ years so I hope the learning curve for TIG is not to difficult.
Just have to pick up some Tungsten and filler rod after it comes in. Have plenty of 6011 and 7018 stick from previous welder.

81LmZUx4GeL._SL1500_.jpg

81LmZUx4GeL._SL1500_.jpg

81LmZUx4GeL._SL1500_.jpg

81LmZUx4GeL._SL1500_.jpg

81LmZUx4GeL._SL1500_.jpg

81LmZUx4GeL._SL1500_.jpg

Need some help from the experienced TIG welders out there picking out the best Tungsten for steel and or Aluminum. I figure the 2% Lant but what brand if there is better or worse ones out there.

I too want a tig I've looked at this model too. Keep us informed on its progress. A fresh look from a newbie is always better then most.

I think you'll like it.
I got one a little over a year ago. I got the 2014 model though.
So far it's been a nice little machine.

I had zero experience prior to getting it, and it didn't take too long to get reasonably proficient. I haven't done anything real with aluminum yet though...

I have the same welder and it works great for me. This is a bicycle frame I built after about a month of practice. That is .9mm to 1.1mm 4130 steel welded with 1/16" tungsten(2% Lanthanated) and .035" ER312 rod.

24956079885_6dc1b2a9af_z.jpg

Last edited:
Weld City has good prices but which Tungsten works best for AL and Steel?
Or do I need different ones for different metals?
2% Lanth or Thoriated

For filler rod, What size is best for steel and Aluminum? 1/16, 1/8 or 3/32
Aluminum shows ER 4043 and ER5356, whats the difference?
Steel shows ER70s-2 and 70s-6, whats the difference?

I've been watching Jody's video's at Welding Tips and Tricks, but he kind of goes thru stuff pretty fast and the explanations of why use this type of rod instead of another is confusing.

I guess I need to find a good book on TIG welding that explains this stuff in layman's English.
In other words, a Welding book for Dummies. :D

Anyone have a recommendation on a good book?

Last edited:
Welding for Dummies is a book available from Amazon. I know nothing about it.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

I guess I should have been more specific. Been MIG and Stick welding for quite a while. TIG is the new skill set to learn now.
TIG Welding for Dummies :D

Weld City has good prices but which Tungsten works best for AL and Steel?
Or do I need different ones for different metals?
2% Lanth or Thoriated

For filler rod, What size is best for steel and Aluminum? 1/16, 1/8 or 3/32
Aluminum shows ER 4043 and ER5356, whats the difference?
Steel shows ER705-2 and 705-6, whats the difference?
I use lanthanated for both. Works just fine. I like 3/32 diameter filler rod. Seems to be the sweet spot. I use 4043, er70s-6 filler rods.

Back