Advice on an Internal Acme Thread

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Thread is RH 5/8-10 .750" long bore.
Micro 100 boring bar is a hundred bucks. Any idea what a shop would charge to do this?thumbnail_IMG_20170822_175240056.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20170823_034748380.jpg
This is for my surface grinder. It is the vertical feed screw.

Is that the new bevel gear?
You just need it tapped to 5/8 x10 RH acme?
Or are you looking for the lead screw as well?

Daryl
MN

Yes that's the new gear. It's bore is .500". needs to be bored to .525" and threads cut. I will need a lead screw as well. I was going to just buy the lead screw. $7 foot seemed like a good price. I'm going to rip into it tomorrow to see how the screw attaches to the plate above the motor.

Please note that not all Acme is created equal.
Tolerance is a significant factor, precision lead screws get expensive.
Is the gear hardened?
I've got some Acme taps and a pile of lead screws some used, others new.
Do you want me to check my cache?
There was a great link to making some taps posted here on HM last week.
Yesterday, I got real close to trying to make a 7/8 x 5 Acme tap.

Daryl
MN

The gear is not hardened.
At this point I don't think a tap would give the fit I need. Do you?
I looked at McMaster-Carr and they sell precision lead screws 1018 class 2c fit, three feet for $13. I only need about 9". I think for that price probably not worth the effort to look through your stock.

If you can work with either 1/2 x 10 or 5/8 x 8, you can get a nut from McMaster Carr for under $10. machine the od for a heavy press fit in your gear or use some othe method fo captivating the nut.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#95100a103/=192mt3n

Yes, this works well. I've cut pockets and inserted the nut into the side. However, this gear might be to small to accept a pocket and still hold.
Machining and pressing as you suggest or if there is enough clearance underneath he might be able to TIG in place.

Daryl
MN

Cool.
Get a matching precision lead screw.

Daryl
MN

Back