adjusting vertical head on a Hardinge TM for perfect tram

rogee

Active User
Registered
When tramming a Hardinge TM vertical mill, the horizontal plane appears to be easily set, however if the vertical head is slightly tilted to the front or the rear, how would you adjust the head to get it into perfect tram.

Since there's no "nod" adjustment for the head, I don't see how it could be anything but correct.

Alan thanks for replying to my post. My TM is still sitting in the garage waiting for me to move it into the shop, I have been asking various questions that come to mind as I drool over the prospects of have a first class machine at my disposal. The manual though in good english is pretty short on information. One other question, it appears that the only thing holding the vertical head to the column are the two dove tail clamps at the bottom of the vertical head. The 2" over arm arbor doesn't seem like it would be of much help other than to help position the head while assembly. Am I missing some thing here or what?
And thanks again.

My UM has a Bridgeport head that mounts in place of the overarm. Is yours the same?

Alan,
No mine has the std. Hardinge vertical head..
Bob

When tramming a Hardinge TM vertical mill, the horizontal plane appears to be easily set, however if the vertical head is slightly tilted to the front or the rear, how would you adjust the head to get it into perfect tram.

Hey Bob

I have a Hardinge TM with a Rusnok Vertical head mounted on the 2inch overarm. I tram it with the forward adjustment on the head itself, and the lateral adjustment loosening the two clamps for the overarm itself.

Let me know if I got this straight- you have the Hardinge Vertical milling attachment? It really shouldn't require any adjustment in either direction, since it sits in a machined and finished boss around the horizontal spindle.

In what shape is your machine? Mine is pretty used. I am sure you could place some really shin shim stock between the head and mill to make fine adjustments, but I would double check that there are no nicks or chips in between first.

Pics pics pics! :)

Bernie

Bernie,

Sorry it took a while to answer your reply to my post, However my tm uses the std. vertical head the TM came with. I see that a a number of machines exist with the modification as you describe. Is this done as an upgrade, or as a less expensive fix for some electrical or mechanical problem.

rogee

Hmm, I thought the Bridgeport head was the standard accessory for the TM/UM. Did Hardinge make their own later?

Back