Adjusting depth of cut on a Jointer/Planer

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
OK, Today I'm in Holland, setting up a woodworking Hobby Shop. One of the recent additions is a GADH 200 Jointer Planer (Jointer planes flat, Planer planes to thickness) Yeah its cheap, sheet aluminum structure. I've been using it off and on for a couple of weeks, just to flatten warped wood, didn't think about depth of cut. I looked at it today, seriously and it's taking off 2 mm at a pass. According to the "gage" that's full depth of cut! I'd like to be able to take .1mm.

It has a knob which in theory moves the intake side flat up and down on a taper. Everything that can be loosened on the input side is loose, the plate moves a bit, but it will not move toward the cutter (up the ramp).

I've tried a sharp rap with a mallet, but no joy, it won't move.

I know it's early in the states, but hope there is someone here in Europe who can help.
------------------------------

Never mind, what I thought was the actuating rod is in reality the locking-in-place rod. Once I figured that out it was Bob's you're Uncle.

Last edited:
Did you check the height of the blades? If the top of the cutting edge is not level with the back of the table they will take too deep of a cut with each pass.

Did you check the height of the blades? Yes,

I was working with jointers in the early '60s, when they were made from CI, not Al sheet. This was before I became a Tool & Die Maker.

Photo?

We have somewhere a special tool for printing presses, basically a long flat bar with a dial indicator vertical so it can be placed on something like a hand plane or jointer to measure blade depth, great for alignment.

Blades just need to be same depth and square to table.

You have in and out tables, they should slide on some sort of track.

There may be gibs or locks.

Look closely for set screws long the sides of the table. As there's likely a few locking screws.

Both sides in and out should move.

Out table needs to be exact to top of blade at highest point, a parallel or tool like I described above good for this.

You also can carefully feed backwards while running to see if it cuts.

If cuts too low, if no cutt not sure.

You feed a board in but only go until it goes over end of out table then shut off.

Now check with feeler gage between cut board ad out table.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back