Adjusting Bridgeport Table Gib

The correct repair is to scrape or surface grind the ways until they are parallel and geometrically true. I think is possible to use a adhesive plastic shim material that is similar to Rulon to fill the low spots to fill part of the wear, but I have no experience with it and know little about it. It is a stopgap repair. I think McMaster-Carr sells it, and perhaps others as well. Perhaps something like this:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#ptfe-tape/=16doh7f
It is a huge precision job to scrape in a mill correctly. It is an expensive job to have the parts ground or scraped by professionals, and often the work is not done to high standards. Usually the practical answer is to live with it or replace the machine...

You can adjust the gib, but any adjustment on a worn machine will be a compromise between too loose in the worn areas or too tight in the areas with less wear. Do check the fit in the other direction. It might be quite different depending on how the mill has been used.

Turkite is used to repair the way to bring everything back to specs.... I have a mill, at work, that has had that process performed. H & W Machine is the company that performed this service. They measured the table, determined how far off it was and made the appropriate repairs. I have more issues with the lead screw half nuts than with the Turkite.

Back