Adjustable micrometer way stop

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
I found myself making something the other day and thought, " if I had one of those adjustable micrometer way stops, this would be easier." Sooooo...... I went looking for one. First stop the "bay". There is no way in H***, I am going to pay almost half what I paid for my lathe for a way stop! those people are nuts. Now I am doing the next thing. "I'M MAKING ONE" and it ain't going to cost any money cause I found enough pieces of scrap to make one. :rubbinghands:

saw cuts.jpg I started with a block of aluminum 1 1/2" x 2" x 3". Some well placed saw cuts to get rid of the part I don't need.

turning first side.jpg Chucked up in the 4 jaw and turn the first end

turn second side.jpg Flip it around and turn the second end

Both ends turned.jpg Both ends turned and faced to length.

way stop housing 3.jpgAbout an hour in the vise on my mill, turning to different positions and milling off what I don't need. Then polish up on the belt sander.

V slot milled.jpg Milled the "V" slot on the bottom for clamping to the way
way stop housing 2.jpg Milled a 9/16" slot for the micrometer wheel.

Stay tuned for more tomorrow, ( God, I hope this works :talktogod:) There will be a print soon also.

Got a lot done today

threading shaft.jpg Turned the shaft and threading it here. Made the brass wheel , the shaft , and the bushings for the ends.

keyway cut.jpg Cut the key way in the one side of the shaft. A key keeps the shaft from turning when you turn the thumb wheel.

engrave wheel.jpg This is the setup for engraving the divisions on the wheel
engraving wheel.jpg Engraving .001 divisions on the wheel. Each turn of the wheel is .050" and there is .625 inches of travel each way. That is so the way stop can be used on each side of the saddle.

micrometer parts.jpg These are the basic parts so far.
test fit assembly.jpg Parts are assembled for test fit.

bottom clamp plate.jpg I made the bottom clamp plate. This project is working out pretty good. I still have to make the end plates for the stop. They will hold the bushings and the key in place.

Mark Frazier

saw cuts.jpg turning first side.jpg turn second side.jpg Both ends turned.jpg V slot milled.jpg way stop housing 2.jpg way stop housing 3.jpg threading shaft.jpg micrometer parts.jpg engrave wheel.jpg engraving wheel.jpg test fit assembly.jpg bottom clamp plate.jpg keyway cut.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great work so far, can't wait to see it done. Have you used your pocket scribe in this build yet? :)

No, I went to the tool box and got one cause I forgot the darn thing was in my pocket. :rofl:

Mark

Great work so far, can't wait to see it done. Have you used your pocket scribe in this build yet? :)

I finished the adjustable way stop today. It is patterned after the original style from South Bend. I am pleased with the results and it sure is better than shelling out a few hundred bucks for an original.

finished micrometer stop.jpg It has .750 travel in each direction so it can be used on either side of the saddle. The dial is graduated in increments of .001". One turn is .050". The purpose of this piece of equipment is to set up a hard stop for turning to a shoulder or a certain depth but easily adjusting the position for precision if needed. That is why there is not a lot of travel. There will be a print for this, probably in the drawings forum.

Mark Frazier

Oh..... and I was advised that the hex bolt looked like a zit on a beautiful piece. It was all I had on hand. I will be buying a stainless socket head cap screw for the stop clamp.:rofl:

finished micrometer stop.jpg

This is some really nice work. Thanks for sharing this build with us & the other items that you've posted.

I have been asked about this Micrometer way stop project by a few people. While this was my attempt ( and a successful one) to make a stop similar to the original style by SB, I am making another one that will be easier to make and adjustable just the same, so watch for it in the next few weeks here if you are thinking you might like to make one of these.

Mark Frazier

I have been asked about this Micrometer way stop project by a few people. While this was my attempt ( and a successful one) to make a stop similar to the original style by SB, I am making another one that will be easier to make and adjustable just the same, so watch for it in the next few weeks here if you are thinking you might like to make one of these.

Mark Frazier

Getting a SB13" soon and it comes with a micrometer carriage stop, if you want dimensions shoot me a PM, lathe comes in next Thursday.

Back