Adjustable hand reamers

the newer style adjustable reamers with multiple straight blades rung around a center post with a band on top and bottom holding the blades to the shank are garbage. i have some of the old adjustables though that work fairly well. they are spiral flutes, and the vales in the flutes are cut through to the cored center of the reamer. a set screw is on the end and you can squeeze the blades open in the center of the blades by tightening the set screw. they work well for certain jobs and hold fairly tight tollerances but the hole cannot be blind and the reamer can only expand past its nominal size something like .010 give or take. might be more i have just never done it on mine.

I also bought a set from India and the ones I got are as others have said... crap! They are a little bit better than nothing but nowhere near accurate, already have thown two into the bin, the rest won't be far behind! Quality tools they are not. As fas as low cost tools go the chinese ones are probaby better than these.

I just want to add my experience with those "inexpensive" adjustable reamers. I recently picked up a 3/4 inch version to try to open up a bronze bushing, and failed miserably. It appeared the blades rolled over and dug in way too much. It could have been user technique/error, but I would advise saving your money for a better tool, or taking the part to a local shop.

I ended up spiral wrapping fine sanding cloth around a drill bit to open up my bushings. OK for a $3 bushing, but not a solution for your problem. Another member recommended a flex hone to do the job. Maybe that would work. I'm guessing the cost is dependent on the diameter you require. Best of luck getting that rod end to the correct size.

I bought the full set made in India some time ago from Harbor Freight. I paid $80 for them and sold them a week later for $15 and was happy they were gone. All the ones I have now are Cleveland. I have no issues with the new ones. When buying reamers, remember what they do and buy the best you can afford.

"Billy G"

Back