1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Adjustable hand reamers

Discussion in 'METAL FINISHING, CUTTING & WORKING' started by mirage100, Aug 31, 2013.

1. mirage100

mirage100 United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Canton
    State:
    Georgia

-Return to Top-

I need to ream a bushing in a piston rod. So I guess I need a adjustable hand reamer . I see the ones made in Inda . Are they any good. Can anyone recommed any . Thanks

2. mirage100

mirage100 United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Canton
    State:
    Georgia

-Return to Top-

Hope I put this in the right forum

3. DAN_IN_MN

DAN_IN_MN United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Green Isle
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

I don't have any experience with them. If you're using it for just one bushing, it might do the job. Depends on what their material choice was.

4. Tony Wells

Tony Wells United States Vice President Staff Member Administrator

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

The wrist pin fit is one of the closest tolerance features in an engine. My preference would be to hone that. Another consideration is alignment. Most reamers will not have flutes long enough to bridge both sides of the piston. Likewise many hones. However, Sunnen makes a hone designed for connecting rods and wrist pin holes and parts with similar demands. I would go to great lengths to avoid a simple reamer if it were my project. For what it's worth, this is my opinion.

5. Kennyd

Kennyd United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Westminster
    State:
    Maryland

-Return to Top-

The India made ones I have from Enco are pretty crappy.

6. Tony Wells

Tony Wells United States Vice President Staff Member Administrator

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I'm afraid India would be just about the last place I would want a reamer from.

7. f350ca

f350ca Canada Active User Active Member

City:
    Calabogie
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

Maybe I hit a poor one but the adjustable Indian reamer I picked up for a job was junk. Fit and finish was horrible, it measured several thou different across the two sets of blades. Was not usable.

Greg

8. Ray C

Ray C United States Moderator Staff Member Moderator

City:
    Crofton
    State:
    Maryland

-Return to Top-

LOL! I agree. India does not have a good handle on metallurgy as far as I can tell.

BTW: I have the large set of adjustable reamers from Harbor Freight. -I use them once in a while -as a matter of fact, I used them today. They work but, an adjustable reamer is not going to give you a high precision cut like a machine reamer. About once a month, they come in hand though...

Ray

9. raross61

raross61 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Portland
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

I wanted to throw my 2 cents in here, I 100% agree with Tony, Unless this is a very inexpensive motor, IE B&S lawnmower or something! I would bite the bullet and have them run at a machine shop! Just did a Isuzu diesel 4cyl, pressed new rod bushings in, and actually did play around, with a couple reamers etc, to get them sized, I told my buddy, I didn’t like how it was going, so I ran them up to my machine shop, and had them, power align honed on a sunnen machine! I think it was maybe 12$ a piece to have them align honed, on a machine meant for doing this! I also feel that I am able to sleep better night's, knowing I am not going to window a block, on a 6K$ engine! I guess I too am pretty cheap at times, but this is not the place to save any money! The tolerance is so close that even though they are being wet honed, they still let them cool to make the final fit! So the tolerance is really close!

Take Care Bob in Oregon

10. GK1918

GK1918 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    No. Dighton
    State:
    Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

These reamers are availble not cheap, like Tony said, its all in alignment, kinda like align boring. The going price to have it done here is $100
    for a V8...

11. Todd

Todd United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Hartford
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

the newer style adjustable reamers with multiple straight blades rung around a center post with a band on top and bottom holding the blades to the shank are garbage. i have some of the old adjustables though that work fairly well. they are spiral flutes, and the vales in the flutes are cut through to the cored center of the reamer. a set screw is on the end and you can squeeze the blades open in the center of the blades by tightening the set screw. they work well for certain jobs and hold fairly tight tollerances but the hole cannot be blind and the reamer can only expand past its nominal size something like .010 give or take. might be more i have just never done it on mine.

12. Ed.

Ed. Australia Active User Active Member

City:
    Brisbane

-Return to Top-

I also bought a set from India and the ones I got are as others have said... crap! They are a little bit better than nothing but nowhere near accurate, already have thown two into the bin, the rest won't be far behind! Quality tools they are not. As fas as low cost tools go the chinese ones are probaby better than these.

13. TomKro

TomKro United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Aberdeen
    State:
    Maryland

-Return to Top-

I just want to add my experience with those "inexpensive" adjustable reamers. I recently picked up a 3/4 inch version to try to open up a bronze bushing, and failed miserably. It appeared the blades rolled over and dug in way too much. It could have been user technique/error, but I would advise saving your money for a better tool, or taking the part to a local shop.

I ended up spiral wrapping fine sanding cloth around a drill bit to open up my bushings. OK for a $3 bushing, but not a solution for your problem. Another member recommended a flex hone to do the job. Maybe that would work. I'm guessing the cost is dependent on the diameter you require. Best of luck getting that rod end to the correct size.

14. Bill Gruby

Bill Gruby United States Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

I bought the full set made in India some time ago from Harbor Freight. I paid $80 for them and sold them a week later for $15 and was happy they were gone. All the ones I have now are Cleveland. I have no issues with the new ones. When buying reamers, remember what they do and buy the best you can afford.

"Billy G"