Adapter tooling for Brown and Sharpe #10 taper

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
My Gorton Mill (9J) has a Brown and Sharpe #10 taper. I'm thinking of buying a set of
ER40 collets and making the holder myself. Is this the best way to make an adaptation
for this machine or is there something better? I have no trouble turning the BS10 taper
so would just have to figure out how to machine the ER40 end with nut. I made a BS10
taper for a 1/2 inch end mill and it works fine but don't want to make a big pile of BS10 holders
for all the common sizes... :bs: #10 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :grin:

Thoughts, comments, recommendations, please.

cathead, That's what I did on my Gorton. I made mine for ER-32 for other reasons and it did fine. I wound up making mine from a piece of 1144 steel I had on hand. Worked fine for nearly 10 years before I sold the mill. Go for it! Was a little "touch and go" on getting runout to near zero in the adapter but once done, it was a nice running piece of tooling!

cathead, That's what I did on my Gorton. I made mine for ER-32 for other reasons and it did fine. I wound up making mine from a piece of 1144 steel I had on hand. Worked fine for nearly 10 years before I sold the mill. Go for it! Was a little "touch and go" on getting runout to near zero in the adapter but once done, it was a nice running piece of tooling!

Ken,

Thanks for the reply.

At present, I'm thinking of buying a set of ER40 collets with R8 adapter so I can use the collets on my Bridgeport clone as well.

Ken,

Thanks for the reply.

At present, I'm thinking of buying a set of ER40 collets with R8 adapter so I can use the collets on my Bridgeport clone as well.
That's pretty much what I did too. Use them on my Index 645 mill today.

Just wondering if you got your adapter made?? I've got a 9-j too.
Thanks scruffy ron

Something to think about going forward. Universal Engineering used to make a collet adapter that had a No. 10 B & S taper shank and handled the old destination "ZZ" collets. The range of the ZZ collets was 1/8 to 1". They are similar to the ER-40 in ways. They show up on eBay every once in a while. But don't hold your breath!
Back several years ago, I made both a ER collet chuck and a ZZ collet chuck for the Gorton mill we had. What happen to them over the years, I have no clue.

Cathead, you did a nice job there!

No reason you shouldn't make your own, with a little care during the machining it will work as well or even better. Shouldn't be hard either. If you need help just holler we,'ll help . Gortons are great old mills , super heavy duty and built like a tank. I'm going to make a couple for my mill and a set of blocks to boot.

Rough machine the adapter in the lathe and fine tune in the mill with a grinder jig and you will be blessed with
concentricity. For Ken (4GSR): I have not ever heard of ZZ collets but I have two ZZ Briggs and Stratton engines
just for the record, nice old single cylinder engines, about 5 horsepower, air cooled, heavy flywheel, smoooooth... running...:)

Back