acu-rite glitching.

chuckorlando

Registered
Registered
2 of the new 2 axis dros at school are glitching on the y. You can zero them but when you move the table they just go crazy. I have searched on here for a while with no luck, down loaded the manual and searched Heidenhain's site and nothing. If we wait for the school to go through all BS, it wont never be fixed. So I am just wondering if cleaning the scales or changing the set up some how might cure this issue. They likely dont have 20hr on the machines.

Thanks

Sorry to hear that something is wrong with your DROs.

The few occasions when I called Acu-Rite tech support they were remarkably helpful.

One of my non-accurite DRO's glitches like that regularly on both axis. It's more irritating than anything else as it keeps it's dimension when I move it. I've been told that I should ground the DRO itself for a possible fix.
Since yours has just one axis doing it you might start by cleaning the connectors watching the display to see if moving them around exacerbates the problem. If you have glass scales it may also be time to clean them.

Thanks for the advice thus far. I figure it's something simple being that 2 machines are doing the same thing and both are brand new. It's great for learning to use the dials but really bad time wise. Even more so when guys are waiting on machines to free up.

This glitch holds no tolerances. It zero's out then goes nuts if the tables moved. I plan to check the scales for mounting and wiring issues as well as dirt or the like.

Check to make sure that your displays are calibrated set for your scales. I have an older acu-rite, there are dip switches inside to set the calibration to the sensitivity of the scale. Because they sell different scales. Yours might be a newer one that sets the scale calibration in the software. Check that before you go taking them apart. It seems unlikely to me that they would both be doing the same thing unless nobody bothered to set the settings correctly when they were initially set up.. Check your manual. make sure the plugs are in correctly too.

Thanks for the tip. It would reason to me that your likely on the right track. I cant see two new set ups going bad in the same way with in 2 weeks of each other. I really dont see how the scales could even be dirty this fast, and the machines are cleaned up every night. Either it's a simple problem, or these things suck really bad. I doubt they suck so....

How are the machines cleaned? If air nozzles are used to clean them I can see how the scales would have gotten dirty.

Paint brush rags and brooms. Well thats how I clean my mill. But mine works. ahahah.

My acu-rite DRO did the same thing on one of the scales and after cleaning the scale and realigning it the
problem was solved. Mine has the glass scales and I cleaned it several times with denatured alcohol followed
by glass cleaner.

Back