Acquired atlas lathe info needed

Duke_962

Registered
Registered
I recently acquired an atlas lathe from a good friend who’s father was a machinistand passed away. My grand father was a machinist but I never got the chance to meet him as he died before I was born but have tons of his tools and tooling. The atlas lathe only has markings and badges on it that state it is an atlas lathe and the only stamping are on the bed at tail end. They read D5787s I believe it to be a atlas 10d lathe and have search for the bed numbers only to come up confused. I would like to get it back to its glory but can’t decode exactly what model it is and the few parts I need to complete it to running condition would be easier with a model number. If anyone can be of assistance it would appreciated.

Attachments

• A0DD8946-34B9-4497-A834-8E65F2DCD5F9.jpeg
    A0DD8946-34B9-4497-A834-8E65F2DCD5F9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 47
  • 9426AB0E-4CCA-4615-8411-99187A5FF257.jpeg
    9426AB0E-4CCA-4615-8411-99187A5FF257.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
Have a look in the downloadable documents section. There's loads of Atlas stuff, and (I think), that may include manuals.

Yes it is a 10D with vertical countershaft and Babbit bearings. Parts for the 10D are mostly the same as the 10F. In fact the photo shows my 10D that I had changed the carriage to the F version to add the power crossfeed. The leadscrew had been replace prior to my getting the lathe, so the swap was simple. Lots of postings on the web showing the exploded parts diagram for the lathe. Even the old Sears ereplacement site has the parts listings but Clausing is the best source for new parts.
Pierre
ECCBEC23-6C5F-491D-80C5-F7235C580144.jpeg

Thanks for confirming the model and I will continue looking through the downloable info section to get more information.

The model number is either 1036, 1042, 1048 or 1054, depending upon which bed length it had. The "D" prefix means that it is a 10D. No one knows what the "S" suffix meant. For several years, all or almost all of the Atlas 10D models and most if not all of the equivalent Craftsman 12" had it. So it did not stand for "Sears".

The serial number of your machine is 5787. It is pretty well established that all of the Atlas 10" shared the same common serial number pool, unlike the Craftsman 12" which started over at 1 for each of the 12 models. Yours was probably made in late 1937.

I will continue looking through the downloable info section to get more information.

Hi Duke,

You may not be able to download without donating to the site. It helps with server costs.

This page shows the membership levels:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...p-levels-permissions-and-site-features.81683/

The "Silver" level is only $10 a year and gives you full access to downloads.

I don't see any specific 10D documents, but this one:
Atlas Lathe 10E-Series Parts.pdf 2015-10-11

has a comment that says "10E is a stripped down version of 10D. No back gears, etc."

Welcome to the group!

-brino

Thank you both for the info I actually got it operating this afternoon and have to make one bracket that was missing for the motor support. I have found a few manuals and I am waiting for it to arrive along with some tooling it was missing.

AFAIK, no one has come up with either an original or a scan of any Atlas 10" parts list other than the one on the 10E. If you have found anything else, please contact me direct either email or Conversation (PM).

Back