Acme Thread With Evanut

jocat54

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I thought I would try to make zero backlash Evanut. I turned a 5/8x8 acme thread about 10" long (out of unkown steel-think it was from sucker rod). It turned out just okay.
Had a piece of 1 1/2" delrin (acetal?) and bored a hole .560 and cut it in half on the bandsaw. Wrapped the threads on a section of the acme thread with two wraps of teflon tape and clamped the delrin around it in the bench vise. Heated the rod (not delrin) with a heat gun and tightened the vise a little at a time until the kerfs closed up.
When it cooled off enough to hold it, put in lathe and turned it round. Then used some channel locks to turn it off the rod. Cleaned up the ends in the lathe and picked most of the teflon tape out of threads.
Results=zero backlash Evanut. It is pretty tight to turn by hand but doable. If I do it again I think I would wrap about 4-5 wraps of teflon.
I don't have project in mind for this yet, just playing around in the shop:D

acme 1.jpg acme.jpg

I read about this a while back somewhere and had book marked the page etc. then wouldn't ya know it computer crashed and all gone. I seem to remember the author having to chase the threads to get loose enough to turn and speculation about trying thread tape. Also remember that after quite a bit of use still had almost no backlash.

Thanks for the link! No project yet for that but it sure doesn't hurt to have info when one arrises

Back