Acme Tap

minugs

Registered
Registered
Can anyone loan me a 3/4 X 6 acme tap? Many Thanks

Bob Day

I'm sorry, I would if I had one. Can you make one?

Steve Shannon, P.E.

For wood or metalwork?
My current plan is to make a tap from the acme rod itself. Should be fun!
For metal, it will be difficult to get the correct rake on the tap cutting edges by hand grinding alone. Its more of a machine ground thing

Cheers Phil

Thanks for the reply. I had zero luck making a tap from the threaded rod that would cut cast iron. I ordered extra nuts from Enco , machined them round, bored out the hole in the handle for a press fit, installed a set screw and used locktite when I installed the nuts (now round) in the handle. Worked GREAT! I now have a Moxon woodworking vise.

Lots of fun, and time wasted trying to make the tap.....................

...I had zero luck making a tap from the threaded rod that would cut cast iron. I ordered extra nuts from Enco , machined them round, bored out the hole in the handle for a press fit, installed a set screw and used locktite when I installed the nuts (now round) in the handle. Worked GREAT! I now have a Moxon woodworking vise.

Lots of fun, and time wasted trying to make the tap.....................

Never a waste of time if you learn something and have fun/satisfaction learning to do it.

Absolutely true, shop time is R&R for me. After teaching the trade all those years, alone time in my shop is pure heaven, not having to "listen" for some machine not sounding happy is a beautiful thing. now back to mt CNC conversion. Gotta love learning doing something new.

Anybody learning fusion360? If not, try it. Great stuff!

You may really need a set of THREE taps. Acme threads are very hard to cut. Thus they often came in sets of 3 to have an increasing cut each time through. I had a set of 3 which I loaned to my co worker Jon. He STILL managed to break one of them,which I could never replace as they were old ones.

The few times I've used a Acme tap, I always used a finishing tap. I'd single point the threads to near depth and used the tap to finish the profile to gage. Actually the tap is my gage when one is available.

Zero luck finding affordable tabs. Skirted the issue.................. I had zero luck making a tap from the threaded rod that would cut cast iron. I ordered extra nuts from Enco , machined them round, bored out the hole in the handle for a press fit, installed a set screw and used locktite when I installed the nuts (now round) in the handle. Worked GREAT! I now have a Moxon woodworking vise.

Back