About to order a PM-1022v.. Anyone want to talk me down? LOL

BellyUpFish

Active User
Registered
I'm a total novice. I've never turned anything on a real lathe..

Was all set on a G0602 until someone suggested I take a look at the PM-1022v..

For the $$ over the G0602 if seems well worth it.

Anyone?

I think you'll be very happy with it. No talk down here. :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

If you're anything like me, you won't really know what you want until you actually use it for a while. If you spend $1,300 for a lathe (just a number I pulled out of my hat) and realize next year you want more features or size (or to get rid of the hobby altogether), will you beat yourself up over selling it for $800 or so? That's just expecting a sale of 60-70% from new (I personally wouldn't pay more for something used that is still available new.) If not, buy either one and don't stress over it. I didn't look at either one, but cross-feed is sure nice to have if either doesn't.

Grizzly has been wonderful for customer service for an issue I had with my mill, and a month ago Quality Machine was helpful and promised me delivery of my new mill by mid-Feb (it's in transit), so I've had good experiences so far from both places.

-Ryan

Once you get the basics down, what do you want to do with your lathe? I think if you can answer this, it will give you a better idea of what lathe to get.

Are you looking at that size lathe because you have size constraints (small workspace)? Or is just your sweet spot for what you want to spend?

Both companies have top notch service reputations, and I have bought stuff from both. I recently purchased one of PM's bench mills and can happily report a pleasant experience.

I and everyone else here have their on personal preferences and priorities when purchasing tools. I really think you need to figure out what you're going to do with this lathe so people can be of better assistance.

Bill

Once you get the basics down, what do you want to do with your lathe? I think if you can answer this, it will give you a better idea of what lathe to get.

Are you looking at that size lathe because you have size constraints (small workspace)? Or is just your sweet spot for what you want to spend?

Both companies have top notch service reputations, and I have bought stuff from both. I recently purchased one of PM's bench mills and can happily report a pleasant experience.

I and everyone else here have their on personal preferences and priorities when purchasing tools. I really think you need to figure out what you're going to do with this lathe so people can be of better assistance.

Bill

I have no real expected use out of the thing..

I mean, I want to make a shift knob for one of my cars and a slide hammer attachment for my vice grips. LOL. I've been trying to look at projects over the last 6 months or so and say "where would a lathe/mill have come in handy?" Lots of places. I think it'll just be one of those things you don't need until you have then you'd be lost with out it. Like a drill press, 20T press, etc, etc.

I don't see getting into heavy machining and I am a bit size constrained at my house. I could take it to the hangar and go huge, but I'd never use it over there. I'm planning on buying a lathe in the next couple weeks and a mill this fall, if I don't talk myself into a mill first.

Right off the bat, it seems like a mill might be used more, I could have attempted to use it today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, another option is to go down to the 7x or 8x size. Even down to the Sherline or Taig size. Even if I went out and got a big lathe, I wouldn't get rid of my little 7x14. It really is a nice size and a lot of bang for the buck.

Disclaimer: If I need something large turned, I can take it to work and use full sized machines if needed.

Well, another option is to go down to the 7x or 8x size. Even down to the Sherline or Taig size. Even if I went out and got a big lathe, I wouldn't get rid of my little 7x14. It really is a nice size and a lot of bang for the buck.

Disclaimer: If I need something large turned, I can take it to work and use full sized machines if needed.

Yeh, I think a mini lathe might leave me wanting at some point.

Here, I will help you out:

Don't buy it.

Go for the 1127VF :)

Agreed but I will talk you up even more, get the PM1127VF-LB! :lmao:

But seriously, the PM1030V IMHO is a much better purchase over the G0602. Just the fact that the PM has both carriage & cross slide feeds is worth it alone. The PM also lists right & left hand threading. Not sure if that requires having to install an idler gear like on the HF8x14 but it's a great option to have that the G0602 doesn't seem to have. You may not think you'll need to ever cut LH threads but feeding LH may come in handy too. I finish feed LH at times when needed & never needed to cut a LH thread until today.

Don't forget to posts pics when you get it!

I'm a mill guy my self. Guys make awsome stuff on a lathe. But for what I want and do, a mill is the way to go. I even got a wild idea for turning on the mill. But truth is, around here small lathes can be had for as little as 300. You dont find 300 dollar mills. The wife gives me a decent chunk to spend so I'm on a mill. I can find the cheap lathe any day. I enjoy running the lathes, cutting threads, and all that. But I just have tons of ideas that cant be made with no mill
I have no real expected use out of the thing..

I mean, I want to make a shift knob for one of my cars and a slide hammer attachment for my vice grips. LOL. I've been trying to look at projects over the last 6 months or so and say "where would a lathe/mill have come in handy?" Lots of places. I think it'll just be one of those things you don't need until you have then you'd be lost with out it. Like a drill press, 20T press, etc, etc.

I don't see getting into heavy machining and I am a bit size constrained at my house. I could take it to the hangar and go huge, but I'd never use it over there. I'm planning on buying a lathe in the next couple weeks and a mill this fall, if I don't talk myself into a mill first.

Right off the bat, it seems like a mill might be used more, I could have attempted to use it today.

Back