Abf Relocube To Move A Mill? Other Similar Options?

Shiseiji

Avid destroyer of many materials.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
It's a Clausing FV1 ~ 3,040 lbs, 54"x 68" X 86"high and I'd rotate the head 180 degrees to reduce CG a little.

Thoughts?

No floor tie-downs per this YouTube
~ $600 for the cube. Still have to check, but I'm pretty sure I'm 500# over what a lift gate can do without breaking down the mill, something time just won't permit.

TIA

Ron

I'd get some lumber to brace the mill in every direction. Box it screw it BOLT it straps bolted to the lumber too. If it can move it will is the way I look at it. Movers don't care , oh buy some insurance for the move .

I don't know how practical it will be to use the cube but for any move this is how I move machines.
Jack the Mill/lathe up and put long 4x4's or 4x6's under each side; use long, heavy lag screws to bolt the machine to the wood. These should be as long as practical, if your cube is 6'-7"x 8' then these should be just over 7' long, then bolt cross braces perpendicular to the long skids to prevent tipping over.

How far are you moving? $600 for the cube sounds expensive to me and I'm wondering if there is a weight limit and if the fine print limits the use to household goods only.

OK, now I'm confused (yea, it don't take much) are you moving your household or wanting to bid on a machine and trying to get it home? If you are trying to buy a new to you machine, and have a truck you can rent a trailer and pull it yourself. A tilt-bed trailer from sunbelt etc is just the thing to haul this home.

My prefered method is a drop deck trailer. Normally available at your local equipment rental. Worth it even if you have to rent a truck from UHaul or Penske to tow it with. I think this trailer is rated at 5000 lb, the dual axle is rated at 10,000 lb, and they are air ride.

That Upack cube would be my last choice and I wouldn't trust general movers to move machinery. If you are going to hire someone, find machinery movers. If the distance is not too far, a local tow company with a rollback wrecker would work too.

upload_2016-8-11_20-26-39.png

upload_2016-8-11_20-30-43.png

Sorry, brevity at the expense of clarity. Move is NOT household. Distance is 5 hours, I think out of range of most roll back trucks but I've identified a couple to talk to. My truck is a Nissan Frontier, might be able to pull it off. Rated for 600-650 lbs tongue weight, 3,500 to 6,500 lbs talk on forums is best to stay under 5# and that leaves only 1.6k# for the trailer. And best is with a weight distribution hitch. No local rental outfits with trailers, I've sent in a query to United Rental.

I rented a tilt back trailer from SunBelt located in a Lowes big box store. The closest location didn't have a trailer available but said that they would have one brought from another location. I just went to the store that have the trailer. I went with a Tilt Back trailer because of the comments that I've read regarding the drop deck trailers not traveling well at highway speeds.
Seller loaded with a fork lift; unloaded to my garage with the help of a buddy, using a pallet jack and come-a-long to control the rate of decent off the trailer. You can load the mill yourself if you have some jacks and a winch or come-a-long.

On Edit: If a suitable drop-deck trailer is available and they travel OK on the highway, this would be the way to go. No muss, no fuss

Shaper.JPG P2230117.JPG

Here is a picture of a forklift I delivered in a drop deck about 150 miles away. A 12,000 lb forklift in a 10,000 lb GVW trailer. OK, so it was a bit over loaded. :cautious: Yeah, they run fine on the highway. But in this case the wheel bearings got a bit warm. This one actually worked my truck a bit, I love Cummins Diesels!

upload_2016-8-12_9-56-18.png

I had to move my G0602 and place it on a small bench in the garage - impossible with manpower alone. I hired California Machinery Movers and they brought a super small forklift that fit under my 2-car garage door (6.5') . They did a great job and for $500, it was well worth it to not "hurt a friend" or drop my new lathe.

Back