A Tilt Table For The Milling Machine

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
I had occasion to need a tilt table to make the fingers for my bending brake but did not have one, can't afford to buy one so ...... I did what I do best in these instances. I MADE ONE! I used pieces of scrap steel left over from other projects and whipped up a little table in two afternoons. It was not really accurate but could be set up to the one position I needed and used for the repetitive job it was intended for. Now I wanted to polish it up and make it a precision piece of tooling I can use with confidence on any project. The attached PDF file shows the basic table design and how to make it better. This table took two afternoons to build and another two afternoons to polish into a nice piece of tooling.
IMG_0619.JPG
This is the finished table and attached is the build write up.

Attachments

• Mill tilt table.pdf
    381.5 KB · Views: 100
That looks nice. A lot simpler to clamp down than the one I built. Mine has the clamps under the table and a arched set plate on the side to lock it down.

That looks nice. A lot simpler to clamp down than the one I built. Mine has the clamps under the table and a arched set plate on the side to lock it down.
I wanted to keep it quick and simple. It holds position well but I put a machinists jack under the front to be sure it can't move. I am going to make a round bar that bolts to the bottom of the front. this will make it even easier to set a block or machinists jack under it for security.

I clamp the ears down on my small mill table but you could drill holes in the ears to bolt it down on a larger mill table.

Mark,
Thanks for the post. I have been thinking about making something like that to support my 12 inch rotary table
at various angles. I will have to see what I have for scrap metals and do similar. Good luck on the brake as
it is a very handy tool.

Mark,
Thanks for the post. I have been thinking about making something like that to support my 12 inch rotary table
at various angles. I will have to see what I have for scrap metals and do similar. Good luck on the brake as
it is a very handy tool.
WOW .... if you gonna use it on a 12 inch table you gonna have to make it a lot bigger. I put a machinists jack under the front for support to make it solid. I will be adding a round bar to the front that will be "zero" or level resting on it and it will support the jack or blocks better. I used the table to cut the 45 degree angles on the 1/2" thick steel plates for the brake fingers and they were 7 inches long ( hung an inch over the table. I got no vibration or anything. It was rock solid. I just had a machinists jack under the front for safety and to be sure it didn't move.

Post a photo of yours here. I like to see different designs.I was going to use an arched side plate but thought it may limit use because it would block the side of the table.

WOW .... if you gonna use it on a 12 inch table you gonna have to make it a lot bigger. I put a machinists jack under the front for support to make it solid. I will be adding a round bar to the front that will be "zero" or level resting on it and it will support the jack or blocks better. I used the table to cut the 45 degree angles on the 1/2" thick steel plates for the brake fingers and they were 7 inches long ( hung an inch over the table. I got no vibration or anything. It was rock solid. I just had a machinists jack under the front for safety and to be sure it didn't move.

Yes, I agree it would be quite large. I already have the rotary table so not much point in buying a smaller one.
It may be out of the range of practicality so will have to think it over.

Yes, I agree it would be quite large. I already have the rotary table so not much point in buying a smaller one.
It may be out of the range of practicality so will have to think it over.
Oh no..... I think it would work ok but you would have to have a mill like a Bridgeport to use it.

Oh no..... I think it would work ok but you would have to have a mill like a Bridgeport to use it.

I have a Bridgeport clone 9X42 Enco mill that I have been trying to wear out for over 20 years. So far it is
still in great condition so not much progress there.
  • :pickaxe: :clapping:
I have managed to wear some of the chrome off the
right hand X axis crank so moved it to the Y position.

:penny:

I just discovered emoticons..... This is going to be fun!
  • :applause:
  • :dancing banana:

OK back to work....enough.............:bs:
  • :laughing:

Back