A Scribe And Indicator Base

Mark, do you have a drawing of this? I’d like to make one. If you don’t mind?
Actually, I did not make a drawing for it. It is very easy to make. The dimensions of the base can be any size you want. The important things to watch is the arm that mounts in the base must be a really close slip fit in the groove. Any clearance will allow movement and cause indicator error. Also the hole in the arm and base for the pin must be a reamed hole for a good fit on the pin. The arm will wobble on the pin if not and cause indicator error. Other than that, you should be able to make it easily from the photos.

I been wanting a scribe and indicator base to use on my granite surface plate. I have one that is very large base and 18" high. It is way too big to use on my 9" X 12" plate. I need a nice small one. Yea.... I know..... I could buy a used one online for $20, but there ain't no fun in that. I'm gonna make one, and it ain't gonna cost no money..... Just a few hours time.
View attachment 133616 I made these pieces this afternoon. The base is 2 1/2" square .... a piece of nice cast iron left over from the work head I am making. I milled a "V" in the bottom, a slot in the top , and a notch in the front.

View attachment 133617
View attachment 133618
View attachment 133619 This is way it looks like assembled. The clamp will hold a post made from .375" drill rod. The pin is not inserted all the way because I have to put it together and take it apart many times during the build. There will be a little spring in the front of the adjustment bar and a thumbscrew in the rear. I still have to do that. I also will put four push pins, one in each corner. Lastly , I will scrape the bottom VERY flat.

..... More to come.
Glad to see you are in the shop again and as always........Nice job for an old beat up bloke:D:p:p

How is your pain my friend?

Glad to see you are in the shop again and as always........Nice job for an old beat up bloke:D:p:p

How is your pain my friend?
:grin: I am getting better. I went back to the emergency room this morning because my arm is still causing a lot of pain and I still can't use it after two weeks. The said it will be at least another two or three weeks before I can use my arm. Boy ..... This last fall really screwed me up.

I wish you well and will pray for you. Hope you get better real soon so you can keep educating us.

Bought some materials today for this project. I'm taking some ideas from your base unit, Mark, and some ideas from Stefan Gotteswinter's parallel comparator for the slide and indicator holder.
I'm going to make the base from O1 cause I have some. I am going to press some ball bearings into the base and flatten them like Stefan did to level and lower friction.
I could only get 5/8" stainless bar for the vertical arm, and some A2 for the pivot arm thingy and the indicator holder.
I also got some 3/16 stainless to make pins, for the pivot.
I think I talked my wife into lettinge buy a surface grinder, so that should help make this project true and also pretty! I'm excited!
Now, I just need more hours in a day and days in a week and I'll be set....

Bought some materials today for this project. I'm taking some ideas from your base unit, Mark, and some ideas from Stefan Gotteswinter's parallel comparator for the slide and indicator holder.
I'm going to make the base from O1 cause I have some. I am going to press some ball bearings into the base and flatten them like Stefan did to level and lower friction.
I could only get 5/8" stainless bar for the vertical arm, and some A2 for the pivot arm thingy and the indicator holder.
I also got some 3/16 stainless to make pins, for the pivot.
I think I talked my wife into lettinge buy a surface grinder, so that should help make this project true and also pretty! I'm excited!
Now, I just need more hours in a day and days in a week and I'll be set....

I look forward to seeing your build.

I finished the base for use on my granite surface plate.
View attachment 133648 I put a reamed hole in a steel block to hold the push pins square while I ground them.

View attachment 133649 All four push pins are installed.

View attachment 133650 I drilled pockets to hold the spring.

View attachment 133651 The spring is installed. It is the stiffest one I could find. I think it will work just fine. ( the indicator won't overcome it). It is pretty stiff.

View attachment 133653 Here is the finished base. I will make adapters for the indicators and for a scribe.

View attachment 133654 Here it is on the granite plate. The mirror finish lets it slide really easy.

I'm going to repeat one more time. With proper use , there is no danger of any damage to the granite plate. I am perfectly satisfied with this project.

Want one!

Think of a cast iron lapping plate.

Gene
A fine finish is unlikely to catch any grit. Lapping plates most have grooves to hold the grit for lapping. Cleaned and polished it is unlikely it will do any damage. Burrs on any item will do much more damage . Just like a scrapper doing the ways .

Back