A Rusty Aloris

CannonFodder

Active User
Registered
Hi Friends,

I just stumbled across an old Aloris CXA that has been out in the weather.

What are your favorite methods to first start in on the rust? My brother-in-law says automatic transmission fluid. What do you think about this and what other methods do you like.

Thanks in advance,

CannonFodder

Is it rusty, or pitted? A little surface rust can be removed with Evaporust and ScotchBrite. The quad start thread in there might be rough with pitting though, and it won't be as smooth.

Evaporust, period.
Just plop in in there, fully submerged, for a few days.

Evaporust the wonder liquid, I used it to vanquish rust from a 1950's machine. So easy I just soaked parts overnight then rinsed in hot water with a light brushing with a plastic bristle brush and soap. You can reuse the stuff over and over until its wore out then dump down the drain its environmentally safe. No petroleum's, acids, or bad chem's. It won't harm paint, plastic, metal, yet it obliterates rust, I was in awe.

Definitely Evapo-rust but be aware that it will also remove any black finish that the Aloris still has (tool black, gun bluing etc. is a form of rust).

-Ron

Might be a good candidate for electrolysis? Not too big. Washing soda n a battery charger, tub of water. Submerge toolpost, put in washing soda, hook negative to toolpost n positive to a sacrificial piece of steel (also in the water) and turn charger on for a few days (trickle charge..2-6amps). Works pretty good. FWIW

Edit: Why can't I ever "stumble across" stuff like an ALORIS toolpost !? Lol. Congrats on your find.

Back