A Question Of Vises...

wawoodman

himself, himself
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a 5” Kurt that I picked up used, on ebay. It was pretty filthy with what I think was cast iron dust. Anyway, I've cleaned it, and it works pretty well. But...

I generally set a narrow part on a single parallel, with either paper or a wire on the moveable jaw side. Even when I tap the workpiece down, sometimes one end or the other of the parallel will wiggle when I tighten things up. The same is true with two parallels; I just have trouble getting them both tight.

Does this indicate user error, or a problem with the vise? If it's the vise, is it the jaws, or deep inside?

Replacement jaws from Kurt are pretty pricey, but still, less than a new one.

I have a 5" Kurt as well. :)

When I use parallels I always tap down on the top of the part being held (once the movable jaw is tightened) because the part always lifts off the parallels. One of the first things I learned way back when I started this stuff. I use a rubber coated dead blow so the hammer doesn't bounce. I usually just thwack it a few times and check for tension on the parallels. Once they are snug you're good to go.

When machining a precision part, I use paper around it to keep the sides from getting chisel marks from the top edge of the vise jaws. Never had an instance where it's affected accuracy to a noticeable degree.

I'm not concerned about marks. I thought you did it to take up any micro gap in the grip.

Thanks for the info!

I have a older Kurt 6" D60 vise that does the same thing. Very hard to get the part seated on the parallels. I could see the part tilt slightly up when tightening the vise. I had been using a new 5" Glacern vise and not having the same issue but sold it when I upgraded the mill (went from ZX45 style to full size knee mill). I ended up getting a new Kurt D688 vise and no issues now. I will keep the D60 as a backup (only paid $125 for it). You could try to tighten up the adjusting screw for the ball in the moving side of the vise, that is supposed to be the feature that pulls the moving jaw down when tightening the vise.

Thanks, sanddan.

What did you think of the Glacern? A 6" is too big for my Rockwell mill, and Kurt doesn't make the 5" anymore, AFAICT.

I have a 5" Kurt as well. :)

When I use parallels I always tap down on the top of the part being held (once the movable jaw is tightened) because the part always lifts off the parallels. One of the first things I learned way back when I started this stuff. I use a rubber coated dead blow so the hammer doesn't bounce. I usually just thwack it a few times and check for tension on the parallels. Once they are snug you're good to go.

^^^ Bill nailed it!

That's the problem! Very often, I get one end tight, and the other loosens up. Or, if I use two parallels, three corners are good, but not the fourth.

I just thwack it right in the middle, and as near vertical on the downstroke as possible.

Thanks, sanddan.

What did you think of the Glacern? A 6" is too big for my Rockwell mill, and Kurt doesn't make the 5" anymore, AFAICT.

I have a 5" Glacern that I purchased new last year and use it on my Clausing 8520 mill.

LOVE IT.

Nuff said.

Back