A Piece I'm Working On

I do have a small kiln that will get to about 1600 F, but I have to keep a close eye on it because the temperature controller is pretty poor and will allow fairly wide temperature swings. Thanks for the tip on the Evenheat oven.

Ted

A very graceful blade,and very good,accurate craftsmanship! I will comment though,that 60 RC is at the upper limit of hardness that will give good performance. I made a few knives that hard and they just do not keep good edges because the microscopic edges break off. I think 55 RC is a better hardness for a durable and razor sharp cutting edge.

I have used a 22"deep Paragon knife maker's electric furnace,pyrometer controlled,for about the last 25 years. I pre heat an ordinary toaster oven to the tempering temperature. As soon as the metal cools just enough that you can hold it (about 140º),into the oven it goes. I don't rely on the cheap thermometers that come with them,though. I insert a long probe Brownell's high temperature thermometer into one of the slots in the back. Be careful,you can short out the probe,and burn a hole in it!!(I did that once!) An excellent tool steel book by Tzumera(sp?) gives these tips. You can get it on Amazon.

Great looking blade, Matt.

Any chance you're the same Matt Roberts that made a run of kitchen knives with micarta handles in O1 steel a while back? I kind of think I may have used one at Dan Farr's deer camp a few years back...

That was probably one of mine. I haven't heard from Dan in years, hope he's doing well. I forged my first blade with him about sixteen years ago. He let me share his table at my first Blade show, I won best new maker that year.

Figured as much.:)

I believe Dan is well. Get the occasional email from him. He's in Idaho, now. id say there are very few with his level of insight and attention to detail, even now.

Looking forward to seeing what you do for a guard on this piece!

Nice craftmanship, Matt.
I love that handle , just gorgeous!
Thanks for sharing,

Back