A little help from the keepers of the knowledge please!?!?

BlueDeuce

Registered
Registered
thumbnail (3).jpg
I am putting a motor in the SB Heavy10L I picked up about a month ago. Single phase im going to run at 220v but I am not sure how to connect the drum switch up with this motor. If anyone could give me a little help I would very much appreciate it. Thank You

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 13
  • thumbnail (4).jpg
    thumbnail (4).jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 11
Hi @BlueDeuce
That brand is mostly known for driving pellet stove feeders. Your motor may be for something else, because it is a 1.5HP size.
The the windings are normally changed from 115V operation to 230V operation by connecting then in either a parallel, or a series configuration.
Also, it is reversible, so there may be winding tappings that go to a reversing switch

I can usually figure out the scheme from the winding terminal numbers, and a connection diagram, such as shown in your picture.
A little instinct + logic can let it start to make sense. For example, windings are often numbered such that one can reasonable guess that there is copper between a "1" and a "2".

I am called away soon, so I can't help untangle this right now, but we have had a previous new member thread which, if followed to its end, yielded a whole lot about motor connections, low voltage, high voltage, reversing, etc.

Very useful diagrams and advice were provided by @markba633csi , who has seen a lot of these.
Mark, if he is around, may be able to help.

--> Advice thread Motor Connections Discussion
Near the end of page 3, and a little into page 4

We can see the three terminals that do not have screws in them. These are presumably the ones that go to the motor.
It would help a lot to establish which terminals the incoming mains power cables arrive at on the switch.

Last edited:
I've seen that type of switch before- give me a minute and I'll post a sketch for you
-Mark
This should work for you- you need to either find screws for those three terminals (could be an odd size like 5-40) or solder wires
Remove and re-arrange jumper wires as shown- disconnect wire 8 and extend it to reach the switch, connect 2,3,5 together and tape
Swap wires 1 and 4 if necessary to match motor rotation to switch handle
Be sure to provide a safety ground as shown for motor and switch cases
US240v1x.jpeg

Last edited:
Back