A lifetime supply of a whole lot of stuff, I'm just not sure what it all is.

Dang!! I'm calling my aunt right now and tell her I'm buying a lathe!!

Don't know what the relationship was, but I keep a few things around that I'll never use because they belonged or were made by my grandpa or uncle. Keep those keepsakes, keep whatever else you think you need for the kind of work you are doing. Sell the rest, take auntie to lunch.

And condolences and congratulations!!

Sorry for the loss of your uncle. Glad his stuff went to someone who can use it though.
I have no idea who my stuff will go to. My wife knows nothing about what anything is worth so it will probably all get sold for next to nothing if it is up to her.

As much as I hope my kids want to hold onto some of this stuff, consider that of my uncle's fairly large family and close friends that are as good as family, I'm the only one of those that both wants and will use this stuff. I think it's going to be hard to find good homes going forward. To kids these days, making something is drawing it in a computer and hitting print.

Hopefully my perspective from being in the suburbs is just missing the people that appreciate this stuff.

On my to-do list for a long time has been making an inventory of my tools, for 3 purposes: 1 - getting organized, 2 - itemized insurance policy, 3 - for my wife's sake if anything happens to me.

We've all heard the joke "My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my tools for what I told her I paid for them", but really it's that some great stuff doesn't just get thrown away because going through it all and trying to figure it out is too overwhelming.

As much as I hope my kids want to hold onto some of this stuff, consider that of my uncle's fairly large family and close friends that are as good as family, I'm the only one of those that both wants and will use this stuff. I think it's going to be hard to find good homes going forward. To kids these days, making something is drawing it in a computer and hitting print.

Unfortunately true. My son wants a 3d printer to play with. I understand, I tinker w/old tools and just enjoy building and tinkering.
While it's different, and we don't appreciate it. At least he is curious.
And there's an upside. I didn't push him to my generations music, yet he found it when he was young and liked it. There's hope.. not much, but there's hope. Funny, but I listen to his generations Alternative Rock.. so it's a give and take.

Sorted through it all a bit more today, and started putting it all in to a bunch of organizers I got from HF. Found several things I'm at a loss for identifying:

Looks new and is cool, but not sure what I'd use it for.
IMG_2037.jpg IMG_2038.jpg

Drill bit guides of sorts?
IMG_2039.jpg IMG_2041.jpg
Some sort of scale for 0-10 grams, but I'm not sure how that would be used...
IMG_2042.jpg

What's a Grind Parallel?
IMG_2040.jpg

Maybe handles for something on the left? The things on the bottom right have collars and super fine threads...
IMG_2044.jpg

And this looks cool, but I'm not sure what it's for...
IMG_2152.jpg IMG_2153.jpg

Second from the top on the left hand side is a hollow chisel mortising cutter. An old-style auger bit slides inside and is driven by the quill while downward pressure forces the square part of the tool into the work. The auger bit drills and excavates the wood, the square chisel cuts the corners forming a square mortise. It's a woodworking tool, not machinist.

-frank

And here are some highlights:
Holdridge Model 3D Radii Cutter
IMG_2119.jpg

A bunch of odd taps and dies, several are LH and even a 1/2" NPT tap:
IMG_2154.jpg IMG_2155.jpg IMG_2156.jpg

The QCTP and holders: Anyone recognize these so I can know what to buy if I want more?
IMG_2126.jpg IMG_2127.jpg

Mitutoyo Digital Calipers 0-1 and 1-2:
IMG_2073.jpg

Lufkin inside mic set?
IMG_2097.jpg

Mitutoyo Blade Micrometers
IMG_2074.jpg

1&2 is a shaft coupling for coupling two shafts together like a motor and something it will drive. Similar to a Love Joy coupling.
5 is a gram force gage.
7 looks like plug gages.
8 looks like a draw bad for collets in a lathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back