A lifetime supply of a whole lot of stuff, I'm just not sure what it all is.

jung4g

Registered
Registered
So like you've seen a few times on here, I'm the fortunate recipient of a collection of machine tools.

Here's the quick version, I've been wanting to get a lathe and mill for years and was literally going to order one in the evening of a Friday a few weeks ago. My mom called and said, "I just told your aunt you ordered a Lathe and she says, "WHY?! He can have mine if he can move it.". Thankfully, I hadn't yet hit COMPLETE PURCHASE on the Precision Matthews site and called my aunt. She says, "you can have the lathe IF you take the Mill, too. The one other condition is that if we ever need a part made, you make it."

I haven't been able to move the machines yet, but I'm getting an Enco 12x37 Gap Bed Belt Driven Lathe built in 1989, model 110-2035 (similar to a Grizzly G9249) And a Clausing 8520 Knee Mill.

Score, right? They were my uncle's, who used them daily for many years until he passed 18 months ago, and took good care of his stuff.

So part of the deal is that I clear out all of the tooling that goes with them, a heavy burden (I know, poor me...), but one I'm will to concede to. Last Saturday, my cousin and I got together, first at his shop to take what he'd moved by accident and then to my aunt's to sort through the rest. 40 years of a guy that collected a lot of things, and bartered for lots and lots and lots of stuff.

I drive a 2004 Tahoe and by the time we said good enough for 1 day, the steering felt vague from all of the weight in the back of the truck.

Ok, so some of the stuff I knew what it was, some I didn't. But anything that might be able to be used for the Lathe and Mill my cousin pushed across the table and said take it.

Some highlights:
Metrology

Starrett:
-199 level
-98-8 level (broken glass vial)
-224 0-4" Micrometer Set
-C359 Angle Set
-120 Caliper - 12"
-Last Word Indicator Set

Brown and Sharpe Micrometer 0-1" No 8

Mitutoyo
-Depth Gauge Set
0-1" Digital Micrometer

Several other random indicators, bases, calipers, thread gauges, radius gauges, feelers, etc. Some Starret, some junk.
He literally had drawers of measurement tools on a cart that turned out be used as a shelf...
That was really a surface plate! It's about 24" square, and in need of some love, but still, kind of cool.
And several more things I probably haven't figured out yet.

Lathe Stuff
Quick Change Tool Post with 6 tool holders
2 Knurling tools, one with 3 sets on it, one with just a pair of rollers.
Several chucks (Two 3-Jaw and three 4-jaw) some ready for the 2 1/4-8TPI Spindle, others not.
Several Faceplates from about 4-10"
Lathe Dogs
Dead Centers
Live Centers
Boring bars
steady rest
Several Drill Chucks (including 2 nice Albrechts)
Box upon box of tooling, some brazed, some HSS, and some inserts and holders. Literally hundreds of pieces.
But my favorite piece of all from that very nice collection:
Holdridge Model 3D Radii Cutter Set in a cool wood case!

Mill Stuff
Collet Sets (5c and others?)
End mills (like 50 brand new 1/2" 4 Flute Double Sided End Mills and 100+ other random ones)
Ball End
Roughing
Radius
Keyway Cutters
Dove Tail
Center Drills
Reamers
Taps
Dies
Dividing Head
Swivel Base (but no Vise)
Clapping Set
Drill Stops
Transfer Punches

Misc
1/2 and 5/8" parallel tube expanders for making boilers

So from all that (and that's just off the top of my head), there is a ton of good stuff to get me started, but there are box upon boxes of random things I don't know what they are.

If you eye anything up in the pics that you want more or better pics of, let me know. I'm spreading it all out over severals tables in a warehouse at work to be able to take inventory and figure out what I need and what I don't. I really don't want to just keep stuff that my wife/kids will have to sort through in 40-50 years.

As I go through, I'll likely post specific items with closeups and questions to figure this all out.

IMG_1902.jpg IMG_1903.jpg IMG_2033.jpg IMG_2034.jpg

What are these??
IMG_2035.jpg
And these?
IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg IMG_2027.jpg IMG_2029.jpg IMG_2024.jpg IMG_2025.jpg IMG_2026.jpg IMG_2020.jpg

Top Right are what? Tapered inserts, kind of like collets?

IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg IMG_2023.jpg
1/2" 4 Flute End Mills!! A Whole Box of just those.
IMG_2018.jpg
IMG_2019.jpg IMG_2016.jpg IMG_2017.jpg IMG_2015.jpg IMG_2014.jpg IMG_2012.jpg IMG_2013.jpg IMG_2011.jpg IMG_2008.jpg IMG_2002.jpg IMG_1986.jpg IMG_2006.jpg

Congratulations - what a deal!

Now onto some heavy lifting. You are going to need to get you a HF engine lift for sure.

If you don't plan on passing away for another 40-50 years, I'd keep all of it:p:D. Only would get rid of stuff if I had no room for it.
Your uncle and his wife did you a big time solid!!!! You just got a lifetime of tool collecting in just a blink of an eye...

The first two ??? boxes are mostly machinable emergency collets, cut to fit.
The tapered things with the slits are either drill holders or tap holders, or both. You can tell by looking deep into the round holes at the fat end. If it is round all the way down, it is a drill holder. If it transitions from round to square, it is a tap holder. You install the tap or drill by hand and then tap the whole thing on the point end with a dead blow hammer into a Morse taper socket. If they are not damaged, rusty, or oily they will hold the drill or tap tightly by friction while they work. Sizes are usually written on the sides as well. The ones I have are branded Scully-Jones.

Great score on the complete machine shop hand me down! Think of your uncle and thank him every time you use one of those tools. Pay it forward when it is your turn. I really do not see much there that I would not be keeping. Make sure you know what everything is and what it is for and how to use it before considering getting rid of it. You may be sorry later otherwise.

Wow! Sorry for your uncle’s passing. Put them to good use.

Appreciate that a lot. While the stuff is really neat, it's knowing it was his and that he built lots of cool stuff with it is what's cool. I plan to take care of it, use it, and pass it on to one of my kids someday.

One of the coolest pieces my cousin kept was a anvil from the family farm that my great great grandpa bought and it has been used since. Lots of "character" in that piece.

Thanks for the advice and direction so far. I arranged for a buddy to come take a look in the next week or so to help sort through. He's in school for machining, so probably won't know it all, but he should know more than I do.

Nice score! I looked at it briefly, never saw anything like it so it did not register... nice. I'm liking this gentleman more and more, if his tools are any indication he had a lot of things to share.

Back