A level for the hobby shop

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have new lathe that I need to level and I have a Starrett 98 Machinist Level that I thought was pretty sensitive. I've seen several comments on different threads that the 98 was good for roughing in at best. I believe the 98 has graduations at 0.005 per foot. The Starrett 199, at .0005, has been mentioned several times in various threads but it comes in at just under $1 K.
A quick search turned up several options ranging from $80 to well over $1K. I didn't see any with calibration certification for under $700
My lathe is 12x36,
What are you guys using?

Kinex 5727/300. Sensitive to 0.02mm/M, or about twice as sensitive as the Starrett 199 at half the cost.

Some feel that you don't need a sensitive level to level a lathe because you're going to have to do a cutting test to final-level the lathe. This is true. On the other hand, a sensitive level will get you to that cutting test much faster and with less fuss so it saves time. When my level says the lathe is level, I normally need to move a leveling screw less than 1/8 turn as indicated by a 2-collar test to finish up the leveling process. Very fast, very accurate and very little fuss.

Insofar as a calibration certificate, you will need to calibrate your own level yourself anyway, and you will check it every time you use the level.

I think the import levels are more than adequate.

I have an import level, 12in long. Mine was purchased from CDCO. Cost was $80. The level states the graduations are 1 line = 0.0002 in 10 inch. I am not able to confirm the accuracy. I do know it is sensitive. Took me some time to get the same readings at either end of the bed.

I am not making precision parts so for my hobby needs this has been sufficient.

Reactions: Z2V
I bought an import 8" machinist's level, sensitivity .0005"/10" and it seems to perform as expected. The cost was $69, including shipping.

Two factors govern the suitability of a machinist's level. The first is the sensitivity but the second is the flatness of the base. The base on my level is ground but not scraped. I noticed a bit of dubbing if about 1/8" at one end based on light reflection. I don't believe that it will affect the performance. Placing a .0015 shim under one end will shift the bubble about six divisions which corresponds to around .0003"/10" per division. I haven't checked flatness yet.

Levels are fairly basic instruments. It is the only instrument that I am aware of that is self calibrating. Place the level on a reasonably level surface and if you get the same reading when reversing 180º, the level is calibrated.

The 98 could be good enough. Anything more sensitive and maybe it’s over kill. Using finesse when leveling can be more important and yield better results with a less sensitive level. And the lathe being leveled and or its foundation may not warrant such accuracy…Dave.

Jeff,

Your S-98 will serve you well. When I got my SBL 13 I just leveled it with the S-98 and took this readings on my aluminum test bar after a skim cut. This was after the lathe sat for over a week and re-leveled. Close enough for government work, within measuring error.

You may borrow my S-98 so you can employ 2 levels during the leveling process.

20170628_190532.jpg20170628_190707.jpg

Good Morning, thanks for all the good input. At this point I think I'll give it a go with the 98 and see how it comes out. It may take longer with a less sensitive level but time I do have. I've decided to go ahead and install some jack bolts bearing on steel plates instead of trying to shim it. I would rather have it sitting flat on the floor but my floor is too far out to allow that. I'll pick up some fine thread bolts, nuts and some 1/4" plate today.

Bamban, thank you for offering your level. After I get my bolts and plates in place I might take you up on the offer. Also, you are welcome to use mine anytime too.

Thanks guys
Jeff

For us hobby machinists who don't play in class IV clean rooms, nor chase tenths 'just because', the accuracy of average tools is more than adequate. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 98 for most folks, including myself.

Here in the SE Arizona desert we have pretty good temperature swings from night to day, varying humidity, and lots of particulate contamination. I can spend all of my time and money 'chasing zeros' on my machines, or I can get them close enough for what I need and simply enjoy them. I prefer the latter. :)

Back