1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

A Globe Milling Attachment. Well, part of one, anyway...

Discussion in 'TOOL JUNKIES - TOOLS & TOOLING (Love Tools? This Is Your Forum)' started by cjtoombs, Apr 19, 2017 at 12:41 AM.

1. cjtoombs

cjtoombs United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Ridgecrest
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

USP man dropped this off today. Ordered this on Ebay for an exorbitant sum. This is what I like to refer to as a pre-assembled casting kit. It is a Globe milling attachment, details on what it's supposed to look like here:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/globe/

Mine doesn't quite come close to that:

IMG_4308.JPG
    IMG_4309.JPG IMG_4312.JPG IMG_4313.JPG

brino and 4gsr like this.
  2. cjtoombs

City:
    Ridgecrest
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I managed to get it apart. It actualy wasn't in that bad of shape. The bearings felt a bit rough, but luckily they are still available. The white dust on it is styrofoam dust from the packing it came in.

IMG_4319.JPG

4gsr likes this.
  3. cjtoombs

City:
    Ridgecrest
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

And finaly, the clean picture. I don't know when I will get around to fixing this up for my Craftsman 12" lathe, but it will need the following:

Drive parts, which consist of four pulleys, two arms and some other assorted hardware that will need to be fabricated.
    A milling table. I already have a casting kit for it, I have started on it as well.
    A tailstock. I don't really care for the one shown in the pictures on Tony's site, so I may do something different.
    Reworking the base to fit the Craftsman lathe. I don't know what lathe this originaly fit, but it has a V way, which mine does not.
    A new spinlde. The one in it isn't bad except for the tail end threads, which could be fixed, but I want it to have a nose to match the one on the late.

IMG_4334.JPG

brino, 4gsr, Charles Spencer and 2 others like this.
  4. 4gsr

4gsr Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

There is a Globe Milling Attachment group over on Yahoo dealing with these attachments. I alway wanted one to put on my 9" South Bend lathe when I saw the ad for them in a old Popular Mechanic magazine. Wanted to make one too. Never did happen. In the Yahoo Group, they do have a parts list available along with lots of pictures of all of the stuff that goes to one. Ken

cjtoombs likes this.
  5. cjtoombs

City:
    Ridgecrest
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Ken, thanks, I will check it out.

6. cjtoombs

City:
    Ridgecrest
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Well, after cleanup and inspection, it turns out that somone cut the drive arm mounting bosses off the casting. If anyone on here has one, I would appreciate some pictures of the right side and the back, preferably with a ruler in the picture. I think I can braze on some metal and remake them, but I would like to have some reference to go from. Thanks, and take care.