A Dividing Head Anyone Can Build

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
There was another thread I had started to discuss the possibility of building a dividing head. Well, I decided to proceed. As many know, I like to build my own tooling and try to show the home hobby machinist how to make decent quality tooling without the big cash outlay required to purchase it. This project is of that thinking. While most dividing heads use a 40:1 ratio worm gear set, it is way too costly to plunk down $150 to $250 for a new worm gear set. Sometimes they can be found reasonable on sites like ebay, but not often. I was researching how to drive a spur gear with a worm cut on the lathe as several dividing head projects do this and it will work well. The latest issue of Home Shop Machinist magazine has an article covering how to do just this, but it arrived too late for me as I got a nice 30:1 worm gear set donated to the project by a friend.

The first thing we are going to do is dispel the notion you must use a 40:1 ratio because most use it and the available plate charts use it. There are several ratios that have been used over the many years. Every manufacturer has proprietary plates because of their size, or the way they mount, or where they mount. I have been developing the holes patterns for the plates using the simple formula Harold Hall provides in his dividing head info on his web site, so my plates will work with my head and the 30:1 ratio. So the notion about having to have a special ratio is horse puckey !

The following formula is used to determine the holes required for a number of divisions. While the example uses 10 holes a larger multiple of holes will cover the same number of divisions and several more.

R = Ratio
H = Holes
D = Divisions
W = Holes per division ( must be a whole number and will be as long as it is a multiple of D)

W = R x H / by D

lets say we have a 30:1 ratio. 30 turns of the handle gives one turn of the spindle. We want to make a gear with 50 teeth or a graduated dial with 50 divisions. W must and will be a whole number as long as H is equal to or a multiple of 5 we can get the number of holes needed. 10 is a multiple of 5, so a plate with 10 holes , 3 x 10 = 30 ; divided by 5 = 6, so indexing every 6 holes will give you 50 divisions in one turn of the spindle. In other words, 6 holes times 50 divisions equals 300 holes. with a 10 hole plate, thirty turns of the handle equals 300 holes or 50 divisions.

This can be done to figure any divisions needed and is how I figured the holes pattern for the indexing plates.

Now with that done, lets get started with this project. While many of my projects have been done in a timely (slang for fast) manner, This project will take longer as due to recent developments my shop time is considerably less.

I have acquired a worm gear set and will now start to design the dividing head around it.( remember, in the absence of a worm gear set , you can cut a worm on many lathes to drive a spur gear such as a change gear).

First , I have a list of desired features wanted in this dividing head:

1. This will not be a big honking monster. I want it smaller to use on smaller machines such as the Burke mill.
2. I want to be able to disengage the worm for direct indexing if desired.
3. I want to be able to tilt 90 degrees to use vertically ( not sure I will get this one yet).
4. I want a threaded spindle to accept a chuck and also be able to use collets (wanted 5C, but will be using 3C due to spindle size).
5. Sector arms will probably not be made till needed.

I have some of the materials on hand for this project and will start posting photos tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have the luxury of all the books out there. I am a tight old geezer on a shoestring budget and my shoestring is broke. I either figure things out or use info found floating in space on the web. The plates are the biggest problem I believe and they are not turning out to be a problem really. But in any case, I think this will be a project many will like, as we all want one.

My original plan is to make the plates. If you make a one hole plate you can use it on the head to make a plate with 30 holes, and this plate will be 30 times more accurate than the first plate. the 30 hole plate can be used to make other plates and the first one can be used to make more hole patterns. So the dividing head can make its own plates . It is a bit of work but hey, that's the fun and I can say " I made that". The other option is , find a good deal on 90:1 plates as they will work fine on a 30:1 head because 90 is a multiple of 30.

As one old geezer to another. And I don’t want to be the monkey wrench. But, if you made your dividing head not from a worm and sector and not using hole plates. But instead made it CNC, it could divide just about anything you wanted and spin too and with less parts and waaaay more versatile…Good Luck, Dave.

Last edited:
As one old geezer to another. And I don’t want to be the monkey wrench. But, if you made your dividing head not from a worm and sector and not using hole plates. But instead made it CNC, it could divide just about anything you wanted and spin too and with less parts and waaaay more versatile…Good Luck, Dave.

I have entertained this thought, but concerned about the cost to do so and what is required.

I watched your tool and cutter grinder build from start to finish and enjoyed every post. I'm anxiously waiting for the photos and posts to start flowing.

BTW - CNC is not all that expensive. Everything you need is available on eBay.

Tom S

I realize CNC is the future and is the in thing now and I would like to know exactly what to do to convert my head and what is needed and what it costs. I will probably look into it ,BUT, this project is going to be an inexpensive dividing head that any one of the hobbyists can build, the keyword being inexpensive, and the mission is to provide a quality tool. I know I can not plunk down $400 even for a Chinese dividing head, let alone an $800 for an American one, but many times I need one ( especially since getting into gear cutting a little), so back to the purpose here.

I was trying to figure out what I wanted in this head and decided some sacrifices are in order. I can't have everything. I had wanted the gears enclosed and possibly even run in oil. While this is do-able, it creates a size problem. I don't want a big honking head like a Cincinnati or L&W and that is what it was turning into. This head needs to be smaller to use on the smaller mills like my Burke or the other bench top mills a lot of guys use. (a head 12" overall length just don't work on a 16" table) So, the gears will be open and on the rear of the spindle as a lot of the smaller designs have been. I don't want to buy " special materials to run up the costs, so I searched my scrap box .... er I mean inventory room and came up with some common material that is easy to come by.
dividing head material.jpg This is what we are starting with. The gears are physically larger than I would ideally want , but they are perfect beautiful gears and the price was right, so we design around them.( I think it would be hard to get them any smaller.). The 4" x 6" x 1/2" angle iron will make the bracket to give me a head that tilts to vertical. The 2" CRS bar will make the spindle, the 3" CRS bar will make the head body, and of course the gears and chuck. I have some bronze bearings here and may or may not use them. ( it is not like this thing has to spin). I am drawing some preliminary prints and maybe a basic concept drawing. If I get them done, I will post them for comments and ideas. ( Maybe with a little more brain power we can get a better tool)

A manual dividing head is useful even on a CNC machine. I have used my spin indexer several times for doing simple dividing operations such as putting a hex on a shaft. You simply program the machine to cut one side of the hex, run the program, advance the indexer, then run it again. Repeat this for the remaining sides. So long as you don't need simultaneous motion of the x, y or z axis along with the a axis, you are fine. This actually covers quite a few operations that need to be indexed.

This is a concept drawing to give you an idea of the plan. There will be changes along the way and suggestions are welcome.

concept design.jpg

The head body needs some changes. I will re-post it later Dividing head body.jpg

Back