A Couple Small Improvements To My Lathe

terry_g

Active User
Registered
I bought a quick change tool post for my lathe. It is fairly well made but the knurled nuts for
setting the tool height had a very faint knurl on them and I found them a pain so I made some more substantial ones.

I did not like the plastic handles that came with the machine so I built new ones out of brass.
It adds a small touch of class.
Terry

2.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 7.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work. Have you thought about making the entire holder? I'm toying with the idea of making a few that will set a HHS tool bit on a 15 deg. rake angle. I'll try to find some CSM or P20 pre-hardened 2" x 2" x 4 to 5' before I start that project.

The Lathe came from Busy Bee Tools. They are good to deal with.

I built a ball radius cutting tool that works with the boring tool holder that came with the
quick change tool post. It works quite well.

I made the lock handle for the tool post I found having to use a 22mm wrench inconvenient, one more tool on the bench.
I have since drilled and tapped two more holes for the lock handle at ninety degree either side of the existing one. Sometimes
when the compound is placed in certain positions the lock handle can be in the way.

The light on the lathe was a cheap one I picked up at Canadian Tire. It works very well with a fifty watt Par-20 halogen bulb.

I photographed the charts on the lathe and had them blown up and hung them on the wall. Much easier on my fifty one year old eyes.

Terry

3.JPG 4.JPG 1.JPG 2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry thanks for posting the great pics!!!

I like the ball turning jig! That is soooo simple! 8)

I will copy that as well.

Great stuff thanks for sharing ,,,,,,,,,,,, the ball turnner is a great idea ;D

Rob

Very nice ball turner. It actually looks within my ability! Any chance of getting dimensioned sketches? And/or construction tips?

Thanks,
Mike

Enjoyed your post. It gave me a couple of ideas on improving my quick change tool holder. Mine still has the nut on top but that second handle would really be nice to have.

Ken

I like that shaper I also like your deterent. Good work. Heres my alarm system uses no batterys.

Ricardo.jpg

Back