A Couple Of Dc Motor Controller Switch Questions

Thanks John, the motor is reversible, last in service on a mill. And yes, all the sources I've seen say make sure there is no power before changing directions or the controller will be toast.

" ......you can cut a resistor (RPS3) to defeat the "turn pot to 0 before starting" feature." mattthemuppet

It is not necessary to turn the pot to 0 when using the inhibitor switch on this Minarik controller. I don't know if I can use a generic MC, I'll do some searching, but the Minarik is $83(generic MC $60+-?), includes a speed pot, and given the vid tutorials I'v seen a straightforward install.

Thanks guys,

Brian

Last edited:
Thanks for the feed back, it seems like you will be fine doing what your suggesting. If it doesn't work and damages the switch or the board, you have indicated that you would purchase a board that has the reversing feature. Assuming you already own the board in question........Tim

It is not necessary to turn the pot to 0 when using the inhibitor switch on this Minarik controller. I don't know if I can use a generic MC, I'll do some searching, but the Minarik is $83(generic MC $60+-?), includes a speed pot, and given the vid tutorials I'v seen a straightforward install.

Thanks guys,

Brian

ah right, sounds like a proper DC motor controller - I'd go with that over the MC type boards :)

From what I saw on the video the inhibit switch is simply a SPST toggle connected across the drive enable terminals. Opening the switch only disabled the drive so the motor coasted ti a stop without dynamic braking or regeneration. [If I were to use regeneration to stop the motor quicker I'd apply it to the field winding if the motor had one & if the drive had that option.]

Back