A Couple Of 1911s

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well, one is actually called a 2011, but it's just a wide-body 1911 for all intents and purposes.

As I've said before, I'm no pistolsmith (nor machinist for that matter), I just like to tinker with things. The Kimber was one of my early attempts, 20 plus years ago, and while not the most handsome piece, once tuned up it has performed flawlessly and is very accurate. It is chambered in .45 ACP. The STI is the latest build and hasn't even been shot yet. I'll be getting to that soon. It is chambered in 10mm Auto.

IMG_0796.jpg

Nice work. I would love to build up a 1911. Definitely my favorite platform. Congrats on all the work. They look great and I look forward to seeing how they perform!

How much is your work, how much is factory?

Let us know how range day turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Kimber was a basic, fixed-sight pistol chambered in .45 ACP. I don't remember if it came with a beavertail or not. I was so disappointed with the fit/finish and lack of accuracy that I gutted it to a bare frame and slide and started over with a proper frame-to-slide fitment and went from there. I fit a non-ramped Ed Brown 6" barrel (just trimmed to 5" yesterday), fit and installed a new sear, disconnector, and hammer on over-sized pins to reduce play, new properly fitted trigger, new ambi thumb safety, Ed Brown grip safety, and a custom mount for the red-dot sight. Checkered the front-strap @ 30 lines per inch and slightly contoured the mainspring housing and checkered to match. Did matching checkering on the mag and slide release. Need to serrate the back of the slide now that I think about it... The mag funnel was one of my first attempts at one, and works great, but will be replaced with a better looking one someday. The cocking serrations and name on the slide are factory. :)

The STI started life as a gunsmith's kit, i.e., a bare slide and frame fitted to each other and marked as such. Only minimal tweaking was required to bring the fitment to my satisfaction. The barrel started life as a 5.5" ramped bull barrel short chambered for 40 S&W, then it was hand fit and chambered for 10mm Auto. I had to modify the frame for the ramped barrel as well. I made the compensator from 4140 and is my first attempt at a full profile compensator. I liked the idea of a full-profile, four-port comp to help tame the muzzle flip a 10mm cartridge can produce. Especially with hotter than factory reloads. The rest of the buildup is near identical to the Kimber except that I did not make the mag funnel. I did make the extended mag release button though. Yea, I checkered it too... :D

One of my personal touches is the ambi thumb safety. While I am basically left handed for single hand duties, I can shoot a pistol very well with either hand so for me the ambi safety is mandatory. I rework them to tighten up the interlock such that it feels like a one piece unit when activated/deactivated from either side. I also fit them so that the slightest touch will engage the safety. As I shoot with a high-hand grip (shooting hand thumb is on top of/resting on the safety) the safety never accidentally engages during firing, but the slightest touch to the bottom of the safety has it snapping in place with a satisfying 'click'. I also fit the thumb safety so that there is NO movement of the sear if the safety is engaged and the trigger is pulled. I've seen a few 1911s fire at USPSA matches when the thumb safety is disengaged and it wasn't pretty. Or funny.

Last edited:
Wrmiller: I have never owned a Kimber. But I was surprised to hear you say that you were disappointed with the fit/finish,and lack of accuracy.

I thought Kimbers were supposed to be high quality guns. Have they gone down hill? Are their models ALL lacking in quality now?

Wrmiller: I have never owned a Kimber. But I was surprised to hear you say that you were disappointed with the fit/finish,and lack of accuracy.

I thought Kimbers were supposed to be high quality guns. Have they gone down hill? Are their models ALL lacking in quality now?

Hey George: I bought my Kimber back in the 90s. From what I have personally observed, they have gotten much better over the years. And pricier. :)

To set the record straight, I'm very picky on some of this stuff. For example, I went on a minor rant when I received my STI slide and frame because I found the hardness of the slide varied from one end to the other significantly, with a couple of downright ultra hard 'bright spots' that a file won't touch (ruined my .5" radius cutting end mill on this slide). Whomever cut the radius for the beavertail on the frame must have done it after a 4 beer lunch. Grinder marks everywhere and poor tolerances. Cleaned it up best I could but I don't have welding capability to build it up and re-cut. Maybe someday.

who makes a 9 mm like a 1911, that is good quality, good trigger at a reasonable price (conceal carry size)

I think I just read an article where Colt is offering (or going to offer shortly) a lightweight 9mm. Commander length and aluminum frame IIRC...

who makes a 9 mm like a 1911, that is good quality, good trigger at a reasonable price (conceal carry size)
What is "concealed carry size?"

Keep in mind that smaller 1911 style handguns need a different design and engineering from a larger size in order to be reliable.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Good point. I'm big enough to conceal a full-sized 1911, but not everyone is. The commander is basically the same design with some minor tweaks. The officers on the other hand has some significant differences. Never had any reliability issues with either if properly set up.

I now have a ruger sr9c, looking for a 1911 style in that size in a 9mm, Kimberly makes one i know.

Back