9x20 Power Cross-feed Started Anew. Lol

It's a done deal. Just waiting for the motor now.

"Billy G"

102_0021 (650 x 488).jpg

OK looks like the motor will get here today. It arriver at the local PO at 5:08 AM. Question -- If I mount the box on top of the headstock casting I will need to eun a minimum to 40 inches of wire to get the 24 VDC to the motor from the box. Will this cause me any problems?

"Billy G"

The motor is here. I sure hope looks are deceiving. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

"Billy G"

102_0022 (650 x 488).jpg

Wow that's small. The physical size would fit well with a 9x20 carriage. Let's hope it has the umph you are looking for to drive the cross-feed.

Wow that's small. The physical size would fit well with a 9x20 carriage. Let's hope it has the umph you are looking for to drive the cross-feed.

The size is better than I expected only time will tell on the bang for size. :lmao: If it doesn't I find a better one. I have gone to far to accept anything but success. I am going to mount it with an "L" bracket on the tailstock side. I can mount it low and clear all the handles.

"Billy G"

It's alive. Yup works just fine. Plenty of torque. Now to the mechanics. With a little luck I will be up and running by Sunday. Why did I not do this before?

"Billy G"

Plate #1 of the mounting bracket. There is .750 inch of movement for belt tensioning.

"Billy G"

102_0023 (650 x 488).jpg

This is the perfect size for this lathe. It is being held with vise grips and is interfering with nothing.

"Billy G"

102_0024 (650 x 488).jpg

Looks great Bill
I know you have wanted to get the crosslide under power for some time now. Good to see it all worked out for you. That motor though it looks sooo tiny, worked out, and that's a good thing. Reminds my of a mini windshield wiper motor, but looks like it fits in there perfect.

Nice Job :thumbzup:

I put a torque meter to it. It stops at just under 14 Ft. Lbs. no typo. 14 Ft. Lbs. Where to mount the control box. On top. Tomorrow I will run the power wires thru a tube to the motor. Not to worry about the power switch to the lathe behind the box. A new handle will be fabricated tomorrow also.

"Billy G"

102_0025 (650 x 488).jpg

Back