9x20 jet lathe chuck

casca92

MURPHY:Was an optimist ,when compared to me
H-M Supporter Gold Member
greetings,
I have a piece that needs a bigger and better chuck than I have currently. backing plate size is 1 1/2 8 tpi
I have a 4" 3 jaw self center chuck
7" 4 jaw independent chuck ( will work on here if I have to )
Some times my needs and wants get confused with what is affordable until I get off medical and return to work.
not real crazy with the independent tightening chuck.

I think I need a 6 or 8 inch 4 jaw self centering chuck ? So guide me in the right direction.
would - no have to stay around $ 175 for this purchase. would like it complete with back plate.

lastly where is a good place to start ? plenty of independent adjusters on EBAY.

thanx in advance
casca92

My vote would be a used 5" 3-jaw chuck. Many of them for Atlas lathes on ebay for $100.00 or less. A 4-jaw scroll chuck is harder to find. I think a 6" might be pushing the limit as to size; the jaws may hit the ways if you go too big and an 8" chuck is totally out of the question.

I respectfully disagree here. I use an 8" Cushman 4 jaw on my Jet 9X20 all the time. The lathe has no issues the extra weight and diameter. Had this set-up for about 15 years now.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
I respectfully disagree here. I use an 8" Cushman 4 jaw on my Jet 9X20 all the time. The lathe has no issues the extra weight and diameter. Had this set-up for about 15 years now.

"Billy G"

Good, Bill, glad you jumped in with the voice of experience. I have to ask, though. How large a work piece can you fit in the chuck before the protrusion of the jaws becomes an issue?

I have chucked up 6 1/2 inch dia. but it pushes the limit. As home hobby people go this is probably all you will ever open to. 8 inch in a 9 inch swing lathe is close. Use caution at all times.
I have a friend with a HF 9X20 and he has an 8"- 6 jaw in his.

"Billy G"

I have chucked up 6 1/2 inch dia. but it pushes the limit. As home hobby people go this is probably all you will ever open to. 8 inch in a 9 inch swing lathe is close. Use caution at all times.
I have a friend with a HF 9X20 and he has an 8"- 6 jaw in his.

"Billy G"

So, you can clamp a 6-1/2" work piece without the jaws hitting the ways? Impressive.

Only with the jaws in the ID three step side holding position. The jaws just make it to 1/8 inch past the OD of the body of the chuck. Anything larger is asking for trouble in my opinion.

I am having (tongue in cheek) a set of jaws modified for the chuck to hold a 7 inch diameter work piece. There will be .375 removed from the OD side of the jaws. They will never be used on that side of the jaws again.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Get some time on that 4 jaw chuck and get used to using it. The independent 4 jaw chuck is much more versatile than any scroll chuck, and will give more accuracy. I almost never use the three jaw scroll chuck on my lathe, not usually worth the time to change over to it, and less accurate. With a little practice and thought, centering a part on a 4 jaw independent chuck goes quickly. IMO, it is a required basic lathe skill. Save your money for real needs...

Last edited:
ok so broke down and used my 4 jaw independent chuck, a little more time was spent for a project that has taken to long to complete as it was. trying to make a threaded top for QCTP so I don't need wrench. just adding a threaded spacer with a handle. of course only scrap steel I could locate during my search ( destroy mission ) was a 3 inch diameter Hex in STAINLESS .fron 4 jaw.jpg bac 4 jaw.jpg

greetings,
I have a piece that needs a bigger and better chuck than I have currently. backing plate size is 1 1/2 8 tpi
I have a 4" 3 jaw self center chuck
7" 4 jaw independent chuck ( will work on here if I have to )
Some times my needs and wants get confused with what is affordable until I get off medical and return to work.
not real crazy with the independent tightening chuck.

I think I need a 6 or 8 inch 4 jaw self centering chuck ? So guide me in the right direction.
would - no have to stay around $ 175 for this purchase. would like it complete with back plate.

lastly where is a good place to start ? plenty of independent adjusters on EBAY.

thanx in advance
casca92
Any reason you are looking for a selfcentering 4 jaw? I have a self centering 3 jaw and 4 jaw, and a independent 4 jaw.( All came with my lathe)
I almost exclusively use the 3 jaw and independent 4 jaw....
Just trying to figure out if I am missing out on using the self centering 4 jaw.

Peter

Back