95 Mauser To 45/70 ??

I have, but it has been decades. I don't recall the exact modifications I made to the feed lips and follower, but they both required a little attention. I wish I had better details for you. I do recall the 444 Marlin was much easier, no doubt due to the smaller rim diameter.

The 410 Mauser will (or should) have modifications closer to those of the 444 Marlin conversion since the rims are close in diameter. But it should give you a good idea on what to expect on the 45/70, just on a smaller scale.

IIRC there were some 98 actions converted to 12 gauge(?). GIHA or something like that. Those may be something to study. I think they were only single shot though. Many British Enfields were converted to .45-70 by Gibbs. I have one of there Summits and am working on a Lee Speed clone using a #4 Enfield. It is barreled in .45-70.

IIRC there were some 98 actions converted to 12 gauge(?). GIHA or something like that. Those may be something to study. I think they were only single shot though. Many British Enfields were converted to .45-70 by Gibbs. I have one of there Summits and am working on a Lee Speed clone using a #4 Enfield. It is barreled in .45-70.
I saw a few of the converted enfield/45-70's in Alaskan gunshops a few years back. After all this interesting input I think I will put this on the back burner for a while., and ponder it a little more. If I do proceed at a later date I will go with the .444 Marlin caliber. I have 3 DeHass actions in the works and am back at them a little now after a health and family matters setback. They can be seen on and old thread, type in DeHass action in thread search.

The 444's biggest drawback is bullet availability. Hard to find anything heavier than 300 grains. At rifle speeds, the 444 just shreds the 240 and 265 grain bullets.

Back