95 Mauser To 45/70 ??

54hawken

Registered
Registered
I have done a good number of rebarreling and custom rifle projects. I have never converted a Mauser to a rimmed cartridge. I was wondering if someone out there has, and would like to enlighten me. The barrel would have to be cut for the claw ectractor, and I am thinking of a single stack, directly below bolt, 1 or 2 round magazine. I have had this action and Fagen semi-finished stock around the shop for near 20yrs. Any pointers or ideas?

I understand Siamese Mausers were chambered in 45-70.

What I know is that the bolt face is too small, typicaly 0.475 dia and that the rim will necessitate work on the feed rails. I just converted a 1909 Peruvian from 7.65 x 54 to 9.3 x 62. Since the rim of each is same dia. all I had to do was thread and chamber the barrel.

The best place I know to ask is Mauser Central.com
Several of the forum members are gunsmiths with extensive Mauser experience.
Also Accurate Reloading .com

Check out "down east gun works" on you tube. He rebarells and reworks a Mosin Nugant in 45/70.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Thanks ,. I will try Mauser Central .com I just watched the video on the Mosin conversion.

it can be done but there a ton of issues to work around .

the biggest is going to be the extractor , without turning down case rims there is very little purchase area for reliable extraction .

next is to to get it to feed from the magazine the reciever rails are going to need a ton of work and going to a single shot hand fed is almost less of a viable alternative
cartridges wont chamber properly with the minimal extractor grip and large rim .

and when you stuff the large 45-70 case into the small ring action you lose quite a bit of strength limiting you to trapdoor and lever gun pressures .
this isnt such a big deal for you ... but the next guy down the line might not know it is not safe for the ruger no 1 and siamese load data and get into dangerous territory

it is doable .. but wont be an easy conversion

I once owned a Remlin 45/70 lever action, we could not hit the broad side of a barn with that thing at 100 yards even sitting with a bench rest. It made a big BOOM but that was about it. I traded it in on a Ruger Guide Gun in .338 Winchester Mag

I completed a 98 Mauser to 7.62x54r earlier this year. It wasn't a tough conversion but there are a few details I had to think through. The 54r rim is only .570" diameter though whereas the .45-70 is shown to be .618". I'm not sure how much different modding a small ring would be.

The extractor was no big deal, it took under 10 minutes to modify. Feeding from the mag well also was pretty straight foward. I get (4) 54r cartridges in a standard mag well. The thing that took the most thought was the contour of the rear of the barrel to allow for proper headspace and a cutout for the extractor. The bolt face had to be opened up for the rim too. You'll also need to weld a lip on the rear of the mag follower to keep the rims from getting hung up on the back edge.

DSCF6790_zps99b1edcd.jpg

DSCF6804_zps055ad5f6.jpg

DSCF6892_zps4116365c.jpg

DSCF6900_zpsdcbf6141.jpg

Last edited:
Great details Holes. If anyone knows how to get a rimmed cartridge to feed in a rimless format, it's you. I once converted a 98 to 444 Marlin for a customer and didn't have the issues I had with the 45/70 conversions. I suspect due to rim diameter differences.

I don't think strength would be a concern as long as you didn't try to make a "magnum" out of the 45/70. That would apply to any rifle action. The small ring has successfully been chambered in 7x57 and .308 Winchester for years. I know the difference between PSI and bolt thrust. I'm saying I think the physical limitions of the 95 action will be more of a problem than the strength.

The accuracy issue is a matter of twist rate. The bullet weights available in 45/70 make twist rate critical. Talk to your barrel supplier and get an idea of the twist rate you will need for your chosen bullet weights.

I do look forward to you build.

Thanks Rick! :anon: I've never done a small ring but it sure sounds like having one in a .45-70 would be fun. Might be a good one for a home made magazine!

These are all interesting posts. I wanted to get input and consider it before my final decision. I thank you all for your time so far. I am going to visit a used gundealer that has a 98 Mauser .410. It will be interesting to examine the feed rails and magazine.

Back