8x12" Surface Plate

dlane

Active User
Registered
Anyone know of a way to get plate same thickness , mitutoyo grade a .00005 top

You mean 2 identical plates? Within what tolerance. With some effort, you could cut a larger plate into smaller sections after having it ground and lapped. Or I may not be following you exactly.

I was wanting to tram mill with it ,same thickness

I see. You want a plate that is parallel top to bottom within 50 millionths. I'm sure they could be made up, but I wouldn't know where to start other than Starrett's (or one of the other manufacturers) plate service. Not sure than your normal plate certifiers/lappers would touch it. Couldn't hurt to ask though. They may know someone who could rough it in for their lapping.

No idea, but wouldn't be too surprised if it were. Should be another approach that would be suitable, and more economical.

Yup traming aid , double indicators, or a flat piece of glass 50 millionth?

Having a 50 millionths accuracy tramming aid plate on a BP clone milling machine is a answer in search of a problem. We measure the work with an autocollimator, mark it with a crayon, then cut it off with an axe. I do understand very well the issue of putting the stuff we get in a tool lot toward some useful purpose... 8^)

Back