80mm long focal length refractor

. And it looks cool.
You stole that from the TARDIS, I'm telling the Doctor!:no no no:
Seriously, very nice work, I have been following this build and it is good to see the (almost) end result.
P.S., I noticed the neighbours coming over for a squiz,
John.

Thanks John. There are a couple of things have popped up that need something done.
The central support needs a join in the middle for easier transport.
The scope support cage needs a handle as the fully assembled scope is rather heavy. I will weigh it later.
I'm considering a counterweight for the front.
I think two right angle scrolls bolted to the centreline of the support plate and the top casting as a brace.
A "Y" shaped yoke for the scope to sit into when at rest.
Hopefully that will be it.

And the gods of astronomy have reared their fickle heads again and produced thick clouds and rain (which we need) to bless the new telescope. :bang head:

... And it looks cool.
I disagree. I think it looks ABSOLUTELY MAGNIFICENT!!! ... and to think that you made the whole thing, including the milling, with just a 9x20 lathe and "some rusty files and a hammer." ABSOLUTE WOWSERS! Yours is an amazing accomplishment.

Thank you for that John much appreciated.
I suppose I should update the equipment list to add a drill press and welder:shhh:
All I managed today was to make the patterns for those new bits

That is an amazing piece of art to be proud of - and a functional scope as well! It will probably be in use for generations to come.

And the beauty of it is when you can combine two of your hobbies in one nothing seem like work - it's all pure joy. Well done mate.

Thanks Peter,
I find it hard to believe the, dare I say, "astronomical" amount of knowledge I've gained in the two years its taken to get this far.
Its been well worth the journey.

I recall from 'way back in history (when I was more into electronics), that a friend told me, "There's nothing more expensive than a free microprocessor." I guess we can come up with a corollary - there's nothing more expensive than a free objective lens. :)

... and, of course, Jon Miller is going through the same gyrations in his thread: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/free-is-never-free.47471/#post-401782

Last edited:
That looks so friggin' cool!
Robert

You stole that from the TARDIS, I'm telling the Doctor!:no no no:
Seriously, very nice work, I have been following this build and it is good to see the (almost) end result.
P.S., I noticed the neighbours coming over for a squiz,
John.

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I saw it. The Darlic wouldn't stand a chance against that thing. Very nice work Savarin

Back