80mm long focal length refractor

First job with the 10mm aluminium plate.
2 large flanges to make the clamps that hold the scope.
I opted to document all this for the thread on cutting aluminium plate and as I didnt want the hassle of cleaning up all the fine swarf from the table saw I elected to use the jig saw. Not as clean cuts but still pretty quick.
I've kept the dates and times on the photos so you can see how quick the cuts are.
Rough marked out on the 1500x160x10mm plate
flange1.jpg
first cut with the jig saw approx half way through
flange2.jpg
finished, 2mins
flange3.jpg
long side and 4 corners off, 14 mins including a blade change for the saw.
flange4.jpg
Using a hole saw on my p#$% weak drill
flange5.jpg
at last we're through. This is probably the longest part to do. I seems to take forever particularly when the drill stalls easily at it slowest speed but highest torque. Also incredibly messy.
flange6.jpg
Into the lathe and turn round, 2 flanges. Now I have to mount them to the face plate and bore them out to just over 80mm for the tube and some foam padding.
flange7.jpg

flange1.jpg flange2.jpg flange3.jpg flange4.jpg flange6.jpg flange5.jpg flange7.jpg

Last edited:
The two flanges bolted together with four 8mm stainless rods.
Now I have to bore the holes for the tension screws, mill the sides for the 8x40mm strips (cut on the table saw) that will bolt on and hold the bearing trunnions and then split them in half.
Thinking again about all this I have a feeling I should have drilled the plates for the clamp bolts then split them whilst they were still square, then turned and bored them.
If it doesnt work I will revisit and do it again that way.

scope clamp.jpg

scope clamp.jpg

Took a break from the stand etc and made a sun finder.
A quick dive into the scrap bin came up with 3 off cuts of 12mm thick aluminium and a bit of thin tube.
I wanted the sun end to fit into the tube with a 1.5mm dia hole but how to hold the off cut.
Centre popped the middle and held it tightly against the chuck jaws with the rotating centre and some double sided tape.
double sided tape turned.jpg
Drilled with a 1.5mm dia for the sun to peep down and made it an interference fit into the tube.
sun end polished.jpg
The sun spot has to hit an opaque screen at the other end of the tube so the screen holder needed a threaded insert to hold it in place.
ext int thread.jpg
Made a small internal threading tool and cut a 0.7mm thread inside and on the outer clamp ring.
internal threading.jpg
The screen is cut for a plastic milk bottle, scratched with dividers and inked.
screen end.jpg
Then I polished the lot.
finished.jpg
It works a treat. now back to the stand.
sun spots.jpg

double sided tape turned.jpg internal threading.jpg ext int thread.jpg screen end.jpg sun end polished.jpg finished.jpg sun spots.jpg

Nice work Charles,
Did you use the double sided tape and centre because of the lack of a 4 jaw? And then hold the round to cut the centre out?
Thats a pretty high polish inside the "cup" Im impressed with the finish!

Cheers Phil

Nice work Charles,
Did you use the double sided tape and centre because of the lack of a 4 jaw? And then hold the round to cut the centre out?
The off cuts were too small for the 4 jaw (original piece of crap) so I used the tape and centre. Then mounted the now round piece in the 3 jaw and used the bearing pusher to get it aligned flat, turned down the push fit part for the tube, reversed it to drill the small hole and bore out the taper.
The other two pieces for the screwed end were drilled first, both mounted together on a long bolt trapped in the 3 jaw, turned to size then individually bored and the threads cut.
Thats a pretty high polish inside the "cup" Im impressed with the finish!
Thanks, 600 wet and dry with wd40, then 1800 jewelers abrasive paper and wd40 then solvol autosol.
There are still some marks left so when I set the polishing wheels back up and use tripoli followed by rouge then all the marks and micro scratches should disappear.

Back to the stand and bits.
Milled the side slots out of the rings using a small end mill I had been given years ago and my vertical slide.
milling slots.jpg
then drilled the chord for the clamp bolts once the rings are split.
drilling the chord.jpg
Straight all the way through with no wander.
drilled through.jpg
milled out the corners and enlarged the hole to 5mm
5mm drill.jpg
The finished rings before polishing with one 40mm wide side plate resting in the slot and a 5mm rod in the bolt hole.
finished rings.jpg
Now I have to cut the rings in half.

5mm drill.jpg drilled through.jpg drilling the chord.jpg finished rings.jpg milling slots.jpg

I thought I had it nailed.

I need 8 stainless knurled nuts for the clamp rings.
The first was ok, the second and third were very nice.
clamp nuts.jpg
The knurls are even and regular.
That's when I assumed I had solved all the variables. Bad assumption.
The fourth one started fine, the thread cut smoothly and all was going well until it came time to use the knurler.
It kept walking itself out of contact.
It just wouldn't stay at 90 degrees to the work piece and the tension on the central tightening bolt of the QCTP was as tight as I could get it.
Its a double or maybe a triple start, hardly any knurling in the centre.
The fifth one (still in the lathe ready to be parted off and thrown away) is what could only be politely called an abortion.
bad knurl.jpg
Its making me believe that a purpose built fixture that cannot swivel at all would be the way to go.
Anyone foresee a reason not to?

clamp nuts.jpg bad knurl.jpg

Split he scope clamp rings today.
I only had a hacksaw so to keep the blade straight I clamped two lengths of angle iron to them and sawed through the gap.
splitring1.jpg

This kept the cut pretty clean for a by hand saw cut.
splitring2.jpg

A quick rub on some wet and dry and a load of WD40 for approx 8 mins
splitring3.jpg

And the ends are nice and smooth and clean.
splitring4.jpg

splitring1.jpg splitring2.jpg splitring3.jpg splitring4.jpg

Back