8" Bench Grinder. Any Recommendations?

dieselshadow

Do you smell something?
Registered
I'd like to get a new bench grinder, but don't want a piece of junk, nor do I want to spend $1k. What do you recommend?

Bought this cheap 8" Ryobi at home depot for the little winter place shop 5 or 6 yrs ago. Was pleasantly surprised. Normally I look for used US made stuff, but that's pretty hard to come by here in PR. It has cast tool rests, built in angle on one for drill bits with a magnifying shield/lens, built in lights above each wheel. Even the wheels seem decent, takes a few seconds to come up to speed, but runs smooth and pretty quiet. Seems at the time it was around $100 on sale. Cheers, Mike
P1010059.JPG

I second the Jet 8", bought one about 5 years ago and was very pleased, smooth running right out of the box and surprisingly the wheels are pretty darn good as well. Have it mounted on a pedestal.

Rikon is now making a 1 hp unit that sells in the $220 range and is slow speed. I have one with CBN wheels on it for my wood turning tool sharpening station. I have been pleased with it thus far and of course, the CBN will work for HSS tool steel.

I looked for a used Baldor locally but tired of Craigslist culture and bought the Rikon.

Lowes has a variable speed delta for $130 ATM ..about 2000 to 3400 Rpm was wondering if anyone had one ( cheap Chinese but better than harbor freight)

I found an 8"craftsman used at an auction, I got it cheap so what the heck I thought, give it a try. It is a surprisingly good grinder, comes up to speed fast, runs smooth, and it came on a pedestal, has lights over each wheel but they are burned out and kind of a pita. I may change the lights to something else. But I do like the grinder, I don't know if the new ones are as good but they may be worth looking at. I intend to pick up the slow speed rikon too.

Last edited:
Woodcraft and Rockler both have the Rikon 1/2 HP 8" slow speed grinder (model 80-805) on sale for $99.99. My budget is too tight right now, or I would go get one myself. I've got one of the HF grinders and do not particularly care for it. This unit does not have a light on it, that one (model 80-808) will cost you about $220, but it also has a 1 HP motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Rikon a decent quality name brand? Never heard of them before.

I like that Jet that was posted. Also like Grizzly's industrial one. Sure is a spendy joker though. It weighs in at over 100lbs.

I am quite sure that the Rikon is a Chinese import just like Jet and Grizzly, but of better design and quality than HF.

Back